SUMMARY OF INVENTION
Currently, most solid targets made for medical cyclotrons require significant space and expense for external beam line setup. The Compact Solid Target developed at MSK implements a novel design and cooling arrangement, and it is small enough to fit all major brands of medical cyclotrons.
This target design allows for a higher yield of radionuclides and target release can be automated to reduce the risk of personnel radiation exposure. The unique cooling arrangement allows the solid target to be shrunk into a compact size to fit almost any medical cyclotron, eliminating the need for a beamline, while also facilitating the loading and dropping of radioactive materials.
This technology is fully compatible with cyclotron beam properties designed for traditional cyclotron setup (18F, 11C, 13N). It also easily adapts to alternative cyclotron methods such as air, water and helium cooling.
- Novel target design with 100 and 200 slants which allow more efficient heat transfer toward high beam current capability and produces a higher radionuclide yield
- Easy-to-use target load and drop
- Space saving design, with unique cooling arrangement
- Reduced risk from radioactive materials, since target head is released easily from back of target chamber
- Ability to be integrated into standard target package available from any cyclotron manufacturer
Compact Solid Target improves the safety and ease-of-use of medical cyclotrons by academic and commercial facilities
AREAS OF APPLICATION
Medical cyclotron use (potential adoption by any/all medical cyclotron manufacturers)
STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT
Nationals filed in U.S. (pending) and Europe (published).
Yiauchung (Howard) Sheh, MS, Senior Cyclotron Engineer, MSK Core Facilities
Tel # 332-229-0487
MSK Internal Code: SK2016-092