Capan-2 is a human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cell line. These cells grow in adherent tissue culture and display epithelial morphology. They form well-differentiated tumors when injected into immunocompromised mice and are used as a xenograft model for pancreatic cancer. The Capan-2 cells express mutant K-Ras (G12V) and elevated levels of the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR). In addition, they express wildtype p53 and normal levels of SMAD4 protein.
This cell line was established in 1975 from the primary tumor of a 56-year-old Caucasian male with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
- Jorgen Fogh, PhD, formerly at Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering
- James D. Loveless, formerly at Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Kyriazis AA et al. (1986) Morphological, biological, biochemical, and karyotypic characteristics of human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma Capan-2 in tissue culture and the nude mouse. Cancer Research 46: 5810-5815 (PubMed ID: 3019537)
- Deer EL et al. (2010) Phenotype and genotype of pancreatic cancer cell lines. Pancreas 39: 425-435 (PubMed ID: 20418756)
This cell line may be licensed nonexclusively for research or commercial purposes.
- Express License: For internal research purposes by a for-profit entity: 1) Fill out MSK’s ATCC Express License, see here for links to the online fillable ATCC Express License, as well as a PDF version. 2) After execution by MSK, you will receive a signed copy, and can then place your order with ATCC. For detailed guidance on how to fill out this webform, see here. Please note: In order to streamline and expedite the licensing of select MSK cell lines, the terms of this non-exclusive license are non-negotiable. This license is only available for select cell lines, including this one. Once this license has been executed by MSK, you will receive a signed copy and payment instructions; all payments up to $10,000 must be made by credit card.
- Commercial License: Contact MSK’s Tangible Materials team at [email protected].
For non-licensing requests from academic-research institutions: Contact Frances Weis-Garcia, PhD, Associate Laboratory Member/Head, Antibody & Bioresource Core Facility, MSK, 646-888-2354, [email protected].