Malme-3M is a malignant human melanoma cell line that displays fibroblast-like morphology and grows in mixed culture (adherent-suspension). This cell line has been shown to be dependent upon micropthalmia-associated transcription factor (MITF) activity for growth and survival. Malme-3M cells form tumors when injected into immunocompromised mice. These cells express mutant B-Raf (V600E) and wildtype N-Ras.
This cell line was established in 1975 from a metastatic site (lung) in a 43-year-old Caucasian male with metastatic melanoma.
- Jorgen Fogh, PhD, formerly at Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Germaine Trempe, formerly at Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Fogh J et al. (1977) One hundred and twenty-seven cultured human tumor cell lines producing tumors in nude mice. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 59: 221-226 (PubMed ID: 327080)
- Xing F et al. (2012) Concurrent loss of the PTEN and RB1 tumor suppressors attenuates RAF dependence in melanomas harboring (V600E)BRAF. Oncogene 31: 446-457 (PubMed ID: 21725359)
- Ma J et al. (2013) HER2 as a Promising Target for Cytotoxicity T Cells in Human Melanoma Therapy. PLoS One 8: e73261 (PubMed ID: 24015299)
Malme-3, a normal skin fibroblast cell line, isolated from the same patient as the Malme-3M melanoma cell line, is also available for licensing.
This cell line may be licensed nonexclusively for research or commercial purposes.
- Express License: For internal research purposes by a for-profit entity: 1) Fill out MSK’s ATCC Express License, see here for links to the online fillable ATCC Express License, as well as a PDF version. 2) After execution by MSK, you will receive a signed copy, and can then place your order with ATCC. For detailed guidance on how to fill out this webform, see here. Please note: In order to streamline and expedite the licensing of select MSK cell lines, the terms of this non-exclusive license are non-negotiable. This license is only available for select cell lines, including this one. Once this license has been executed by MSK, you will receive a signed copy and payment instructions; all payments up to $10,000 must be made by credit card.
- Commercial License: Contact MSK’s Tangible Materials team at [email protected].
- For non-licensing requests from academic-research institutions: Frances Weis-Garcia, PhD, Associate Laboratory Member/Head, Antibody & Bioresource Core Facility, MSK, 646-888-2354, [email protected]