SK-LU-1 is a human lung adenocarcinoma cell line, primary that displays epithelial morphology and grows in adherent culture. This cell line expresses mutant K-Ras (G12D) and has homozygous deletions in the CDH6 and CDKN2A genes. These cells do not express the enzyme telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) and consequently lack telomerase activity. This correlates with significantly reduced tumorigenicity in vitro and in vivo. These cells, however, display characteristics of alternative telomere lengthening (ALT) mechanisms (i.e., heterogeneity of telomere lengths and the presence of distinct nuclear structures called ALT-associated promyelocytic leukemia bodies). The SK-LU-1 cells do not form tumors when injected into immunocompromised mice.
This cell line was established in 1969 from a 60-year-old Caucasian female with adenocarcinoma of the lung.
Chester M. Southam, MD, formerly at Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Fogh J et al. (1977) Absence of HeLa cell contamination in 169 cell lines derived from human tumors. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 58: 209-214 (PubMed ID: 833871)
- Lehman TA et al. (1991) p53 mutations, ras mutations, and p53-heat shock 70 protein complexes in human lung carcinoma cell lines. Cancer Research 51: 4090-4096 (PubMed ID: 1855224)
- Brachner A et al. (2006) Telomerase- and alternative telomere lengthening-independent telomere stabilization in a metastasis-derived human non-small cell lung cancer cell line: effect of ectopic hTERT. Cancer Research 66: 3584-3592 (PubMed ID: 16585183)
This cell line may be licensed nonexclusively for research or commercial purposes.
- Express License: For internal research purposes by a for-profit entity: 1) Fill out MSK’s ATCC Express License, see here for links to the online fillable ATCC Express License, as well as a PDF version. 2) After execution by MSK, you will receive a signed copy, and can then place your order with ATCC. For detailed guidance on how to fill out this webform, see here. Please note: In order to streamline and expedite the licensing of select MSK cell lines, the terms of this non-exclusive license are non-negotiable. This license is only available for select cell lines, including this one. Once this license has been executed by MSK, you will receive a signed copy and payment instructions; all payments up to $10,000 must be made by credit card.
- Commercial License: Contact MSK’s Tangible Materials team at [email protected].
- For non-licensing requests from academic-research institutions: Frances Weis-Garcia, PhD, Associate Laboratory Member/Head, Antibody & Bioresource Core Facility, MSK, 646-888-2354, [email protected]