The internship training consists of experiential and didactic components. Content will depend on the length of the intern’s commitment and interests, and is tailored to provide broad exposure.
The experiential component of the program includes exposure to the following:
- Facility rounds with attending veterinarians and husbandry and operations management staff
- Clinical rounds with the clinical veterinarian and veterinary technical staff
- Importation and quarantine testing of various species
- Preparation, intraoperative monitoring, and postoperative care of animals undergoing surgical or imaging procedures
- Necropsies under the guidance of a veterinary pathologist
- Physical examinations, administration of parenteral agents, and collection of fluid/tissue samples under guidance
- Veterinary consultations with investigative staff on topics including animal model selection and use, experimental procedures, and anesthetic and analgesic selection
- Rotation through a multidisciplinary clinical and anatomic pathology laboratory
Interns participate in the following:
- Seminars and webinars
- Clinical and pathology conferences
- Pathology and biosecurity case review
- Staff meetings
- Journal Club
- Investigative staff training seminars and laboratories
The Veterinary Student Internship in Laboratory Animal Medicine and Pathology is tailored to accommodate each student’s veterinary school schedule. A minimum of a two-week commitment is required. Summer preceptorships are also available.
Learn more about the Veterinary Student Internship in Laboratory Animal Medicine & Pathology.
The internship program provides trainees access to world-class biomedical research facilities of the three participating institutions and diverse scientific disciplines.
The internship training consists of experiential and didactic components.
The faculty of the Tri-Institutional Training Program is composed of laboratory animal specialists, comparative pathologists, regulatory specialists, and veterinary scientists.
Veterinary students with a strong interest in laboratory animal medicine are encouraged to apply.
Contact us for more information about the Veterinary Student Internship.