I am a dentist who is trained in dental oncology, a discipline devoted to the dental and oral care of cancer patients. While I provide all phases of dental and oral care, I have a special interest and expertise in the dental and oral evaluation and treatment of children with cancer; patients with hematologic malignancies such as leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma; and patients with head and neck cancer. The care that I provide includes dental evaluation (dental clearance) prior to bone-marrow or stem-cell transplant; periodic care during and following cancer treatment; evaluation and treatment of the oral side effects of cancer therapy, such as dry mouth, oral candidiasis (thrush), and mouth sores; tooth restoration, extraction, and root canal therapy; and emergency dental treatment.
In addition to my clinical practice, I am dedicated to clinical research. I am actively involved in various research projects including:
- Understanding the long-term effects of pediatric cancer therapy on dental and facial development.
- Investigating the relationship between bisphosphonate (eg, pamidronate and zoledronic acid) therapy and osteonecrosis of the jaws.
- Clinical Expertise: Hospital Dentistry; Dental Oncology
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: DMD, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
- Residencies: Veterans Administration Medical Center (Brooklyn, NY)
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Selected Book Chapters
“Prosthetic reconstruction.” Huryn JM, Bohle GC III, Estilo CL. In: Plastic Surgery: Indications and Practice. Guyuron B, Eriksson E, Persing A, authors; Chung KC, Disa JJ, Gosain AK, Kinney B, Rubin JP, eds. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2009.
As home to one of the world’s top cancer research centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering is typically involved in more than 900 clinical trials at a given time. Currently, clinical trials focused on the conditions I treat are enrolling new patients. If you’re interested in joining a clinical trial, click to learn about the trial’s purpose, eligibility criteria, and how to get more information.Learn more