As a thoracic surgeon for more than 15 years, I have devoted my clinical practice to diagnosing and treating patients with lung cancer, esophageal cancer, mesothelioma, and all other cancers of the chest cavity. In addition to serving as Chief of Thoracic Surgery, I am the Surgical Director of the Thoracic Oncology Program at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Read more Read less
I was one of the first thoracic surgeons in the United States to develop expertise in minimally invasive or VATS approaches, and as such the overwhelming majority of my patients with lung or esophageal cancer receive the benefits of this approach. In my role(s) at Memorial Sloan Kettering I am committed to continuing to enhance the quality of care and the outcomes for all patients who receive thoracic surgery at our institution. I understand that each patient is unique, and therefore I strive to design patient-specific treatment approaches that leverage the unique expertise of our Memorial Sloan Kettering thoracic oncology program. I frequently see patients who are requesting second opinions regarding the best treatment options for their cancer.
My research focuses on the molecular mechanisms governing the development of metastases in patients with early-stage lung and esophageal cancer. In addition, our group has been a pioneer in exploring the clinical application of molecularly-targeted therapies for patients with lung cancers that will be surgically removed. We are interested in understanding how to best integrate molecular characterization of lung and esophageal cancers, personalized targeted therapies, and minimally invasive surgical approaches to all thoracic malignancies.
- Clinical Expertise: Lung and Esophageal Cancers; Thymic Malignancies; Pulmonary Metastases; Mesothelioma; Minimally Invasive Surgery; Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS); EBUS; Rigid Bronchoscopy; Tracheobronchial and Esophageal Stents
- Awards and Honors: Castle Connolly: New York Magazine Top Doctors (2014-2017)
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, West Virginia University
- Residencies: General Surgery - West Virginia University; Thoracic Surgery - University of North Carolina
- Fellowships: Molecular Oncology - University of North Carolina
- Board Certifications: General Surgery; Thoracic Surgery
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Led by David R. Jones
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by David R. Jones
- A Phase II Study of Preoperative Nivolumab Immunotherapy to Treat Operable Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- A Phase II Study of the MatriStem Surgical Matrix to Reinforce the Esophagus in Patients Having Surgery for Gastric and Esophageal Cancer
- A Phase III Study of Crizotinib Given After Surgery for Early-Stage ALK-Positive Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- A Phase III Study of Erlotinib Given After Surgery for Early-Stage EGFR-Positive Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- An Exploratory Study to Evaluate the Mediators of Sensitivity and Resistance to Nivolumab plus Ipilimumab Immunotherapy in Patients with Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer