I am a board-certified hematologist and oncologist with special expertise in using hematopoietic (blood-forming) stem cell transplantation to treat adults with hematologic malignancies. I am part of a group of hematologists and transplant specialists who work together in a coordinated and collaborative manner to provide our patients with the best cancer care. My particular interest is in using cord blood as a source of blood-forming stem cells for transplantation in patients who lack a suitably matched sibling or unrelated donor, or who are in need of a urgent transplant. At Memorial Sloan Kettering, cord blood transplantation has made it possible for more patients — particularly those from racial or ethnic minorities — to undergo transplantation.
Read more Read less
As a clinical researcher, I am investigating new strategies to make transplantation safer and more effective. These include the use of less-toxic chemo-radiation (reduced intensity conditioning) to prepare patients for transplantation and novel therapies to prevent and treat graft-versus-host disease, a potentially life-threatening complication that can develop after transplant.
- Clinical Expertise: Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation
- Languages Spoken: English; Spanish
- Education: MD, Universidad Central de Venezuela
- Residencies: Internal Medicine - Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Fellowships: Hematology/Oncology - New York Medical College; Bone Marrow Transplantation - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Hematology; Medical Oncology
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.