Clinical Director, Adult Bone Marrow Transplantation Inpatient Unit
I am a board-certified hematologist and oncologist and work as a bone marrow and stem cell transplant physician on the Adult Bone Marrow Transplant Service. I am part of a multidisciplinary team that treats patients using stem cell transplantation to treat a variety of hematologic malignancies. My particular expertise is in the area of allogeneic transplantation — the use of stem cells or bone marrow derived from a donor other than the patient. Stem cells can come from different sources (related or unrelated donors, bone marrow, peripheral blood, or umbilical cord blood units) and be modified in different ways before transplantation. My current focus is risk stratification — determining which type of transplant is best for each patient who is able to undergo and benefit from an allogeneic transplant.
Read more Read less
I am involved in a number of studies designed to find ways to lower the risk of graft-versus-host disease, a serious complication that can follow allogeneic transplantation. In one approach we are developing techniques to separate out the specific cells that evoke this response, the T lymphocytes, and deliver a stem cell product that is very low in these T cells. These approaches are more useful for patients whose acute leukemia or myelodysplastic syndrome is in an early stage of their disease. I am also studying the use of allogeneic stem cell transplants for the treatment of patients with more-advanced leukemia or myelodysplastic syndrome. Along with colleagues here, I am participating in studies of different combination chemotherapy regimens for patients with advanced or refractory acute leukemia. My practice consists of patients with a variety of hematologic malignancies who are in need of an allogeneic transplant, including patients with acute myelogenous leukemia, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. The goal of my practice and clinical research is to be able to offer every patient in need of a transplant the opportunity to undergo this potentially curative therapy.
As Clinical Director of Memorial Sloan Kettering’s adult Bone Marrow Transplantation Inpatient Service, I lead a dedicated team of doctors and nurse specialists who care for patients undergoing transplantation during their stay in the hospital.
- Clinical Expertise: Allogoeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Treatment of Hematologic Malignancies and Bone Marrow Failure Syndromes; Cellular Immunotherapy for Treatment of Post-Transplant Infectious Complications and Relapse
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, New York University
- Residencies: Internal Medicine - Bellevue Hospital/New York University Medical Center
- Fellowships: Hematology/Oncology - New York University Medical Center/Bellevue Hospital; Bone Marrow Transplantation - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Hematology; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Esperanza B. Papadopoulos
- A Phase I/II Study of the Toxic and Therapeutic Effects of T Cells in the Treatment of Epstein Barr Virus-Associated Lymphoproliferative Disorders
- A Phase III Study Comparing Three Different Regimens to Prevent Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease
- A Phase III Study of Maribavir versus Standard Treatment for Patients with Persistent CMV Infection after Stem Cell Transplantation
- A Study to Provide Brincidofovir to Treat Serious Adenovirus Infection or Disease
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more