Interventional Pulmonologist, Intensivist
Chief, Pulmonary Service; Director, Section of Interventional Pulmonology; Program Director, Interventional Pulmonology Fellowship
Interventional pulmonology is a relatively new and rapidly growing field. As one of a few fully trained interventional pulmonologists in the world, I feel fortunate to have been part of the development of this field and to have published articles on techniques never before performed. I am board certified in internal medicine, pulmonary medicine, and critical care medicine.
Read more Read less
I perform both flexible and rigid bronchoscopy to ensure adequate care of many disease processes. I specialize in endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS), electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy (superDimension), laser bronchoscopy, autofluorescence bronchoscopy, narrow-band imaging, airway stenting, and whole-lung lavage for pulmonary alveolar proteinosis.
I also treat benign and cancerous diseases of the airway, including malignant airway obstruction; tracheal tumors; tracheal stenosis and bronchostenosis (narrowing of the windpipe); and tracheobronchomalacia (excessive collapse of the windpipe with breathing or coughing). Complications of lung surgery, such as surgical stump breakdown or bronchopleural fistula, can be managed via bronchoscopy.
My research interest lies in optimizing advanced bronchoscopic diagnostics as well as therapeutic outcomes after rigid bronchoscopy and pleural procedures for symptom relief and improving quality of life. We are actively enrolling patients on two prospective clinical trials to evaluate the benefits of bronchoscopically implanted transponders in optimizing advanced radiation treatment techniques. I have coauthored publications regarding lung cancer and advanced interventional pulmonology techniques including EBUS. I have also designed and directed many successful CME meetings at MSK and lectured at local, national, and international meetings.
- Clinical Expertise: Diagnostic Bronchoscopy (Flexible and Rigid): Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS), TBNA and radial probe; Electromagnetic Navigational Bronchoscopy (superDimension); Autofluorescence Bronchoscopy (AF); Narrow Band Imaging (NBI); Transbronchial Needle Aspiration (TBNA); Transbronchial Biopsy. Therapeutic Bronchoscopy (Flexible and Rigid): Airway Stents -- Self-Expanding Metallic, Silicon and Hybrid, Placement and Removal; Balloon and Mechanical Airway Dilatation; Laser Bronchoscopy, Nd:YAG and KTP; Electrocautery; Argon Plasma Coagulation (APC); Cryotherapy; Endobronchial Brachytherapy; Photodynamic Therapy; Endoscopic Abscess Drainage; Fibrin Glue Closure; Foreign Body Removal; Whole Lung Lavage. Pleural Diseases: Thoracic Ultrasound; Thoracentesis; Thoracostomy (Chest Tubes) and Pleurodesis; Indwelling Pleural Catheters (PleurX); Medical Thoracoscopy.
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, New York Medical College
- Residencies: Saint Vincent's Catholic Medical Center
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; Henry Ford Hospital
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Pulmonary Disease; Critical Care Medicine; Interventional Pulmonology
Wahidi MM, Herth F, Yasufuku K, Shepherd RW, Yarmus L, Chawla M, Lamb C, Casey KR, Patel S, Silvestri GA, Feller-Kopman DJ. Technical Aspects of Endobronchial Ultrasound-Guided Transbronchial Needle Aspiration: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report. Chest. 2016 Mar;149(3):816-35.
Simoff MJ, Lally B, Slade MG, Goldberg WG, Lee P, Michaud GC, Wahidi MM, Chawla M. Symptom management in patients with lung cancer: Diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2013 May;143(5 Suppl):e455S-97S.
Lee HJ, Feller-Kopman D, Shepherd RW, Almeida FA, Bechara R, Berkowitz D, Chawla M, Folch E, Haas A, Gillespie C, Lee R, Majid A, Malhotra R, Musani A, Puchalski J, Sterman D, Yarmus L. Validation of an interventional pulmonary examination. Chest. 2013 Jun;143(6):1667-70.
As home to one of the world’s top cancer research centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering is typically involved in more than 900 clinical trials at a given time. Currently, clinical trials focused on the conditions I treat are enrolling new patients. If you’re interested in joining a clinical trial, click to learn about the trial’s purpose, eligibility criteria, and how to get more information.Learn more
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more