I am a urologic oncologist with more than 40 years of experience at MSK in the treatment of urologic cancers. I have vast experience in “smarter screening” for men with an elevated PSA level or a family history of prostate cancer, which is my focus today.
Read more Read less
I work closely with a team of surgeons, medical oncologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists, and uropathologists to utilize innovative screening methods that include molecular profiling of tumors and prostate imaging. After a thorough discussion with a patient about the benefits and risks of a prostate biopsy for the early detection of prostate cancer, we then make a shared decision about the best approach for him. I am also available to provide second opinions for men with early-stage localized prostate cancer. I see approximately 25 patients each week.
I am committed to using a multidisciplinary approach that personalizes treatment and preserves quality of life. This may include active surveillance, surgery, radiation therapy, focal therapies, or hormone therapies. As part of my practice, I follow patients with low-risk localized prostate cancer who elect the active surveillance option.
During the course of my career I have done more than 60 invited presentations to academic meetings and symposia around the world. In addition, I have published more than 100 papers in peer-reviewed professional journals worldwide.
In caring for people with cancer, I understand that the disease affects not only the body but also the entire person and those around him or her. A patient’s quality of life is impacted from the very start of the oncology experience, during which he or she may encounter many unplanned, life-altering events. It’s as important to me to support my patients as total human beings before, during, and after treatment as it is to pursue a multidisciplinary, personalized approach to treating the physiological manifestations of the disease.
- Clinical Expertise: Urologic Oncology: Prostate, Bladder, Kidney, and Penile Cancers
- Awards and Honors: President, American Urological Association; Susruta Award of Excellence in Urology from the Indian-American Urological Association; John K. Lattimer Award of Excellence in Urology from the Kidney and Urology Foundation of America; Dedicated Service Award, Memorial Sloan Kettering; Award of Distinction, Weill Cornell Medical College; Russell W. Lavengood Distinguished Service Award, American Urological Association, New York Section; Honorary Membership, Association of Surgeons, India
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Mahatma Gandhi Medical College
- Residencies: General Surgery - Mahatma Gandhi Medical College Hospital; General Surgery - Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital; Urology - New York University Medical Center; Urology - George Washington University Medical Center
- Fellowships: Urology - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Urology
As home to one of the world’s top cancer research centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering is typically involved in more than 900 clinical trials at a given time. Currently, clinical trials focused on the conditions I treat are enrolling new patients. If you’re interested in joining a clinical trial, click to learn about the trial’s purpose, eligibility criteria, and how to get more information.Learn more
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more