This information describes what you can do to keep from falling and stay safe while you’re in the hospital. Being in the hospital can make you weak. Follow these guidelines to avoid falling.
- Call for help every time you need to get out of bed or up from a chair.
- Do not go to the bathroom alone.
- Do not bend over. If you drop something, call for help.
- Do not lean on furniture that has wheels, such as your bedside table, over-bed table, or IV pole.
- Wear safe, supportive shoes, such as shoes with laces or slippers with nonskid soles. Do not wear shoes or slippers with an open back.
- Call for help right away if you see any spills on the floor.
- Use the grab bars in the bathroom and railings in the hallways.
- If you have glasses or hearing aid(s), wear them when you’re awake.
Let us know what you need near you. Help us make sure we:
- Put your call button where you can reach it.
- Put items you may need (such as your phone, books, or glasses) where you can reach them.
- Turn on a night light before it gets dark.
- Raise the top bedrail to keep you safe.
- Remove any clutter from around your bedside and chairside.