This information describes what to expect before and after your surgery at MSK’s Josie Robertson Surgery Center (JRSC). Read this before your surgery. Refer to it on the day of your surgery so you know what to do and what to expect. Remember to also read the educational resources your nurse gave you.
The JRSC is a state-of-the-art ambulatory surgery center. Your care there will be based on your surgery and designed specifically for you. We’ll talk with you so you know what to expect at every step.Back to top
Before Your Surgery
While you’re at the JRSC, you’ll have a tablet available for you to use. You may need to do some things before your surgery to use some of the tablet’s functions and other services available at the JRSC.
- You’ll be able to video conference with anyone from your room. If you’d like to video conference, set up a Skype™ account if you don’t already have one.
- You’ll be able to listen to music in your room. If you’d like to listen to music, set up a Pandora® account if you don’t already have one.
To keep patients and staff safe and healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve made updates to our visitor policy. Visit www.mskcc.org/visit for more information.
MyMSK (my.mskcc.org) is your MSK patient portal account. You can use it to send and read messages from your care team, view your test results, see your appointment dates and times, and more. You can also invite your caregiver to make their own account so they can see information about your care.
For help, watch How to Enroll in MyMSK: Memorial Sloan Kettering's Patient Portal. You can also contact the MyMSK Help Desk by emailing [email protected] or calling 800-248-0593.Back to top
The Day of Your Surgery
What to Bring
If you’d like to have your prescriptions filled at the JRSC, bring your prescription card.
Where to Park
The JRSC is located at:
1133 York Ave.
(between East 61st and East 62nd streets)
New York, NY 10065
Your caregiver and other visitors should park at the JRSC.
- If you’re arriving on Northbound FDR Drive, go around the block to pull into the driveway on southbound York Ave, between East 62nd and East 61st streets.
- If you’re arriving on Southbound FDR Drive, take southbound York Avenue and pull into the driveway.
Parking is available at several garages near the JRSC. You’ll have to pay to park in these garages. For more information about parking, call 646-888-7100.
Check in at the JRSC
- Once you enter the JRSC, a concierge will greet you. They’ll direct you to the check-in area on the 3rd floor.
- When you get to the 3rd floor, you’ll get a badge to wear. This badge lets your care team give updates on your progress.
- If you have any dietary restrictions (such as of you’re kosher, gluten-free, or vegetarian), tell us when you check in. We’ll make sure you get the foods and drinks you need.
- We’ll ask for the name and contact information of the person taking you home after your surgery.
What to Expect in the Pre-Surgical Center
- After you check in, a member of your care team will bring you to the pre-surgical center on the 6th floor.
- You’ll meet with your care team. They’ll review your medical history and answer your questions.
- Your nurse will bring you to the operating room when it’s time for your surgery.
Information for Family and Friends
www.mskcc.org/visit for more information.
After Your Surgery
At the JRSC
A member of your care team will take you to your private recovery room on the 4th, 5th, or 6th floor. When you’re ready, we’ll call your caregiver to return to the building.
From your room, you’ll be able to:
- Communicate with your care team.
- Listen to Pandora.
- Skype with your friends and family.
- Watch or listen to music channels on the TV.
Your nurse will help you get ready to go home. When you’re awake, your nurse will:
- Encourage you to walk.
- Give you something to eat and drink.
- Review your discharge instructions with you.
- Answer your questions.
Depending on your surgery, you may stay at the JRSC for 1 night. If your care team feels you need to stay longer, you’ll be taken to Memorial Hospital, MSK’s main hospital. It’s located at 1275 York Ave., between East 67th and East 68th streets.
The day after you go home, a member of your care team will call you. They’ll ask how you’re feeling and answer your questions.
Fill Out Your Recovery Tracker
We want to know how you’re feeling after you leave the JRSC. To help us continue caring for you, we’ll send questions to your MyMSK account every day for 5 to 10 days after your surgery. These questions are known as your Recovery Tracker.
Fill out your Recovery Tracker every day before midnight (12 a.m.). It only takes 2 to 3 minutes to complete. Your answers to these questions will help us understand how you’re feeling and what you need.
Based on your answers, we may reach out to you for more information or ask you to call your surgeon’s office. You can always contact your surgeon’s office if you have any questions.
For more information about your Recovery Tracker, watch the video below.