About the Organization
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center — the world’s oldest and largest private cancer center — has devoted more than 130 years to exceptional patient care, innovative research, and outstanding educational programs. Today, we are one of 47 National Cancer Institute–designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers, with state-of-the-art science flourishing side by side with clinical studies and treatment. The close collaboration between our physicians and scientists is one of our unique strengths, enabling us to provide patients with the best care available as we work to discover more-effective strategies to prevent, control, and ultimately cure cancer in the future. Our education programs train future physicians and scientists, and the knowledge and experience they gain at Memorial Sloan Kettering has an impact on cancer treatment and biomedical research around the world.
About the Service
The Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Service at Memorial Sloan Kettering offers a 2-year clinical research fellowship which will provide candidates interested in reconstructive plastic surgery a strong foundation for residency and fellowship and a career in academic surgery. The Service, led by Babak Mehrara, MD includes 11 full time plastic surgeons with a broad range of academic interests. Research would focus on: (1) Health outcomes research following cancer reconstructive surgery which would include clinical outcomes and quality of life outcomes, specifically in the areas of breast reconstruction and head and neck reconstruction (2) Health Policy and Outcomes research, studying trends in breast reconstruction in the United States. Part of the impetus for this research is to better understand healthcare disparities within plastic surgery. Additional areas of focus include developing novel patient education tools and incorporating 3D visualization in patient education and clinical practice. Ultimately, the goal of our program is to improve clinical decision making and help us refine our surgical techniques to improve clinical care and patient outcomes.
About the Position
The Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Service is seeking a Clinical Research Fellow who will become part of an active research program. The fellow will have access to service databases, a medical editor, research project and data manager, and biostatistical support. The fellow will be expected to participate in weekly research meeting and to attend weekly educational conference. Clinical Research Fellows’ broad responsibility include developing hypotheses, writing grant and IRB proposals, data collection and analysis and manuscript writing.
Candidates should be currently enrolled in medical school, PhD program, or currently in a plastic surgery or general surgery residency and interested in pursuing dedicated research time. Previous research experience is preferred. One or two applicants accepted per cycle.
Length of Program
1-2 years (2 years preferable). This is a full-time, paid position with a start date of July 1, 2022.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until October 31st. Interviews will be conducted starting November 2021.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send below documents to the attention of Jonas Nelson, MD via email to email@example.com.
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum Vita
- 1-2 letter of recommendation
Current Clinical Research Fellows
- Rubenstein, Robyn (2020-2022)- Lankenau Medical Center, Mainline Health General Surgery Residency
- Kim, Leslie MD (2020-2021) - New York Presbyterian, Queens General Surgery Residency
- Chu, Jacqueline (2020-2022)- Ohio State University Medical School, completed her 4th year of medical school
- Polanco, Thais (2018-2020)- General Surgery Resident at Harlem Hospital Center
- Wiser, Itay (2018-2019) Attending Physician, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Harlem Hospital, Assistant Clinical Professor at Columbia University
- Li, Claire (2019 – 2020) Cornell, General Surgery Residency
- Ly, Catherine (2016-2018) -Yale New Haven Hospital, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency
- Rehal, Sonia (2017-2019) - University Health Network (Toronto, Ontario), Research Fellow
- Patel, Aadit (2017-2018) - Maimonides Medical Center, General Surgery Residency; accepted to Plastic Surgery Fellowship at Tulane University (starting 2021)
- Panchal, Hinaben (2016-2018)
- Garcia Nores, Gabriela (2014-2016) NYU General Surgery Residency followed by Emory University, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency
- Hespe, Geoffrey (2014-2016) University of Michigan, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency
- Razdan, Shantanu (2014-2016) Attending Physician in General Surgery in Portland, Maine
- Yu, Jessie (2015-2016) NYU Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency followed by MD Anderson Cancer Center Microsurgery Fellowship (completed 2020)
- Fuzesi, Sarah (2015-2017) St Barnabas Medical Center, General Surgery Residency. Currently General Surgery Attending in Livingston, New Jersey
- Cuzzone, Daniel (2012-2014) – NYU General Surgery Residency and Plastic Surgery Residency followed by Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Fellowship in Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery. Currently Attending Physician in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Specializing in Craniofacial Deformities in Greenvale, New York
- Ghanta, Swapna (2012-2014) University of Miami, Fellowship in Breast Surgery. Currently Attending Physician in Breast Surgical Oncology in Walnut Creek, California
- Gardenier, Jason (2013-2015) Cornell, General Surgery Residency and Burn fellowship at Cornell followed by Residency in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Harvard
- Savetsky, Ira (2013-2015) NYU Plastic Surgery Residency followed by Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship in Dallas. Currently Attending Physician in PRS (Aesthetic Surgery) in Dallas, Texas
- Joseph III, Walter (2013-2014) University of Pittsburgh, Plastic Surgery Residency
- Cemal, Yeliz (2010-2012) Attending Physician in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital in Norwich, England
- Daluvoy, Sanjay (2008-2009) George Washington University, General Surgery Residency followed by and Plastic Surgery Fellowship at Duke University. Attending Physician in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Yan, Alan (2009-2011) Albany Medical Center, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency. Current Attending Physician Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Boston, Massachusetts