Elective Course Description
The Onco-Anesthesiology elective aims to provide medical students with unique exposure and training in the perioperative care of patients undergoing cancer-related diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in a variety of clinical settings. Participants will obtain in-depth knowledge of cancer therapies, both surgical and nonsurgical, and their impact on anesthetic management. Medical students will be exposed to aspects of clinical care delivery, education, and research in the field of onco-anesthesiology.
- Students will participate in evaluation of preoperative patient evaluation and learn about cancer therapies and their impact on anesthetic management.
- Students will be exposed to regional anesthesia, pain management, ICU and pediatric cases with a focus on multidisciplinary collaboration.
- Students will gain familiarity with anesthetic techniques, medications, and pathways that we prescribe to our oncology patients.
- Wigmore T, Gottumukkala V, Riedel B. Making the Case for the Subspecialty of Onco-Anesthesia. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2016 Fall;54(4):19-28.
- Jain P, Balkrishanan K, Nayak S, Gupta N, Shah S. Onco-Anaesthesiology and palliative medicine: Opportunities and challenges. Indian J Anaesth. 2021 Jan;65(1):29-34.
- Nadler JW, Quinn TD, Bennett-Guerrero E. Can anesthesiologists affect cancer outcomes? Can J Anaesth. 2019 May;66(5):491-