- Who is eligible to apply for the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Medical Student Summer Fellowship Program?
- What are my chances of getting into the program?
- When is the deadline for submission?
- What are the dates of the program?
- May I participate in the program for a shorter time period than the dates listed?
- Does Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center provide housing or transportation assistance?
- When will I find out if I’ve been accepted to the program?
- If I am accepted, how long will I have to confirm that I will participate in the program?
- May I contact the faculty sponsor of a particular project?
- Whom should I contact with further questions?
1. Who is eligible to apply for the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Medical Student Summer Fellowship Program?
- Applicants must be in their first- or second-year at an accredited US medical school.
- Students must be in good academic standing. Students who are repeating a course or will need to repeat a course during the summer are not eligible to participate. To verify their standing, students must submit a letter of good standing as part of their application.
- Applicants must be able participate in the program for the published dates and provide evidence of their eligibility to work in the US by the award acceptance deadline.
- Applicants are not permitted to contact faculty sponsors during the application process. Applicants who do not abide by this policy will be disqualified from consideration.
The Summer Fellowship Program is highly competitive. In 2016, our acceptance yield was 7 percent. However, since students apply for specific projects, some projects are more competitive than others. It is recommended that students apply for those projects that specifically interest them and for which they have relevant academic preparation and/or research experience.Back to top
All applications and the Letter of Good Standing submission must be complete and received by the application deadline which is January 3, 2022 at EST.Back to top
The program will run from either ten-week option of June 6, 2022 – August 12, 2022 or June 13, 2022– August 19, 2022 or June 20, 2022 – August 26, 2022.
Applicants should consider final exam schedules, second- or third-year start dates, and any anticipated personal commitments during program dates before submitting an application. Uninterrupted participation is required.Back to top
Students who are unable to commit to the full ten-week duration of the program due to the length of their institution’s summer break are still welcome to submit their application for review. Students must be able to commit to at least 8 or 9 weeks of uninterrupted participation which must occur within the program timeframe of 6/6/2022 – 8/26/2022. The student will be expected to submit supplemental documentation from their medical school confirming the length of the institution’s summer break. If accepted to the program, the student’s stipend amount will be prorated based on the approved number of weeks of participation.
The program orientation dates will occur only on 6/6, 6/13, and 6/20 and all students must end on one of the pre-established end dates of the program which are 8/12, 8/19, or 8/26.Back to top
Memorial Sloan Kettering does not provide housing to participants. A list of housing resources will be provided to accepted students. All housing and transportation expenses are the participant’s responsibility.Back to top
All applicants will be notified of a decision by email during the week of January 31, 2022. Accepted students will be expected to confirm their participation within three business days of their acceptance notification or forfeit their spot in the program. Once the application review process begins, decisions are granted on a rolling basis.Back to top
Accepted applicants must confirm their participation in the program within three business days of their acceptance notification or forfeit their spot in the program.Back to top
Applicants are not permitted to contact faculty sponsors during the application process. Applicants who do not abide by this policy will be disqualified from consideration.Back to top
If you have a question that has not been answered by the information provided on our website, please contact us at [email protected] or 212.639.3359.Back to top