1. Who is eligible to apply for the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Medical Student Summer Fellowship Program?
- Applicants must be in their first- or second-year at an accredited US medical school.
- Students must be in good academic standing. Students who are repeating a course or will need to repeat a course during the summer are not eligible to participate. To verify their standing, students must submit a letter of good standing as part of their application.
- Applicants must be able participate in the program for the published dates and provide evidence of their eligibility to work in the US by the award acceptance deadline.
- Applicants are not permitted to contact faculty sponsors during the application process. Applicants who do not abide by this policy will be disqualified from consideration.
The Summer Fellowship Program is highly competitive. In 2016, our acceptance yield was 7 percent. However, since students apply for specific projects, some projects are more competitive than others. It is recommended that students apply for those projects that specifically interest them and for which they have relevant academic preparation and/or research experience.Back to top
All applications and the Letter of Good Standing submission must be complete and received by the extended application deadline which is January 13, 2019 at 11:59 pm EST.Back to top
The program will run from either ten-week option of June 3 – August 9, 2019 or June 10 – August 16, 2019 or June 17 – August 23, 2019
Applicants should consider final exam schedules, second- or third-year start dates, and any anticipated personal commitments during program dates before submitting an application. Uninterrupted participation is required.Back to top
Students who are unable to commit to the full ten-week duration of the program due to the length of their institution’s summer break are still welcome to submit their application for review. Students must be able to commit to at least 8 or 9 weeks of uninterrupted participation which must occur within the program timeframe of 6/3/19 – 8/23/19. The student will be expected to submit supplemental documentation from their medical school confirming the length of the institution’s summer break. If accepted to the program, the student’s stipend amount will be prorated based on the approved number of weeks of participation.
The program orientation dates will occur only on 6/3, 6/10, and possibly on 6/17 (depending on actual start date) and all students must end on one of the pre-established end dates of the program which are 8/9 or 8/16.Back to top
Memorial Sloan Kettering does not provide housing to participants. A list of housing resources will be provided to accepted students. All housing and transportation expenses are the participant’s responsibility.Back to top
All applicants will be notified of a decision by email by March 8, 2019. Accepted students will be expected to confirm their participation within three business days of their acceptance notification or forfeit their spot in the program. Once the application review process begins, decisions are granted on a rolling basis.Back to top
Accepted applicants must confirm their participation in the program within three business days of their acceptance notification or forfeit their spot in the program.Back to top
Applicants are not permitted to contact faculty sponsors during the application process. Applicants who do not abide by this policy will be disqualified from consideration.Back to top
If you have a question that has not been answered by the information provided on our website, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.639.3359.Back to top