My laboratory focuses on the molecular pathogenesis of primary brain tumors. Our current focus is to understand how genetic aberrations in growth factor signaling promote the initiation, progression, and/or maintenance of glioblastoma. Through surveys of the cancer genome in primary tumor samples (high throughput sequencing and gene copy number arrays), we have identified a number of mutations in signal transduction pathways and are now characterizing their biochemical and biological properties using isogenic cell lines models and mouse models of glioma. Our goal is to integrate these findings into a molecular classification of glioblastoma which will inform genotype-based evaluation of novel agents targeting these pathways in patients.
Ingo K. Mellinghoff, MD
Research FocusPhysician-scientist Ingo Mellinghoff studies signal transduction alterations in primary brain tumors.
EducationMD, Technical University Munich (Germany)
- Rohle D, Popovici-Muller J, Palaskas N, Turcan S, Grommes C, Campos C, Tsoi J, Clark O, Oldrini B, Komisopoulou E, Kunii K, Pedraza A, Schalm S, Silverman L, Miller A, Wang F, Yang H, Chen Y, Kernytsky A, Rosenblum MK, Liu W, Biller SA, Su SM, Brennan CW, Chan TA, Graeber TG, Yen KE, Mellinghoff IK An Inhibitor of Mutant IDH1 Delays Growth and Promotes Differentiation of Glioma Cells. Science. 2013 Apr 4.
- Vivanco I, Robins HI, Rohle D, Campos C, Grommes C, Nghiemphu PL, Kubek S, Oldrini B, Chheda MG, Yannuzzi N, Tao H, Zhu S, Iwanami A, Kuga D, Dang J, Pedraza A, Brennan CW, Heguy A, Liau LM, Lieberman F, Yung WK, Gilbert MR, Reardon DA, Drappatz J, Wen PY, Lamborn KR, Chang SM, Prados MD, Fine HA, Horvath S, Wu N, Lassman AB, DeAngelis LM, Yong WH, Kuhn JG, Mischel PS, Mehta MP, Cloughesy TF, Mellinghoff IK. Differential sensitivity of glioma- versus lung cancer-specific EGFR mutations to EGFR kinase inhibitors. Cancer Discov. 2012 May;2(5):458-71. doi: 10.1158/2159-8290.CD-11-0284. Epub 2012 Mar 31.
- Member, American Society of Clinical Investigation (2013)
- Advanced Clinical Research Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology (2009)
- Clinical Scientist Development Award, Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (2008)
- Translational Science Award, Sidney Kimmel Foundation (2008)
- Distinguished Scientist, Sontag Foundation (2007)
- Scholar, Forbeck Research Foundation (2005)
- Young Investigator Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology (2003)