I am a medical oncologist dedicated to improving the lives of patients with head and neck cancer. My primary clinical and research focus is on thyroid cancers and squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. I also have an interest in diagnosing and treating the less common cancers of the head and neck, such as sinonasal undifferentiated carcinomas and salivary gland tumors.
Much of my research focuses on targeted therapy in the treatment of thyroid cancers (differentiated thyroid cancer, medullary thyroid cancer, and anaplastic thyroid cancer). I work very closely with Memorial Sloan Kettering researchers working in areas such as radiation oncology, endocrinology, nuclear medicine, pathology, and head and neck surgery to investigate novel treatment options for patients with cancers of the head and neck, or thyroid.
Our group — the Head and Neck Oncology Service — is specifically interested in what makes tumors (both primary and acquired) resistant to treatments, and in finding ways to overcome this resistance.
I am currently an investigator and principal investigator on multiple studies in head and neck cancer both at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and nationally. I also serve on the Steering Committee for the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG), a National Cancer Institute–designated group composed of local and academic oncology centers and designed to facilitate clinical testing of radiation therapy and new drugs throughout the country.
- Clinical Expertise: Head and Neck Cancer; Thyroid Cancer
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residencies: New York University/Bellevue Medical Center
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Eric J. Sherman
- A Phase I Study of Dabrafenib plus Lapatinib to Treat Inoperable Thyroid Cancers with Abnormal BRAF
- A Phase II Study of Concurrent Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), Paclitaxel, and Pazopanib/Placebo for the Treatment of Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer
- A Phase II Study of Sorafenib Alone and with Everolimus in Patients with Hurthle Cell Thyroid Cancer that Does Not Response to Radioactive Iodine Therapy
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Eric J. Sherman
- A Phase I Study of PLX3397 in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors
- A Phase II Study of Concurrent Radiation and Chemotherapy versus Radiation Alone in Resected High-Risk Malignant Salivary Gland Tumors
- A Phase II Study of Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Non-Anaplastic Non-Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- A Phase III Study of Postoperative Radiation Therapy with and without Cetuximab for Locally Advanced Resected Head and Neck Cancer
- A Study of Customized Treatment for Nasopharyngeal Cancer Based on Epstein-Barr Virus DNA