I am a board-certified medical oncologist who treats patients with gastrointestinal cancers. My specialization is in primary liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma), pancreas, gallbladder, and bile duct tumors. As part of a multidisciplinary group, my colleagues and I offer patients a team approach to treating these cancers.
My research focuses on improving the effectiveness of cancer therapy by incorporating small novel biological molecules that target cancer into the treatment of chemotherapy-resistant gastrointestinal malignancies, particularly hepatobiliary and pancreatic cancers.
- Clinical Expertise: Gastrointestinal Oncology; Pancreas, Gall Bladder, and Bile Duct Tumors; Primary Liver Cancer
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, American University of Beirut
- Residencies: Yale University School of Medicine
- Fellowships: Yale University School of Medicine
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Ghassan K. Abou-Alfa
- A Phase I/II Study of TKM-080301in Patients with Advanced Liver Cancer
- A Phase IB Study of Dalantercept plus Sorafenib in Patients with Advanced Liver Cancer
- A Phase II Study of Sorafenib plus Doxorubicin in Patients with Liver Cancer that Continued Growing with Sorafenib Therapy
- A Phase III Study of Cabozantinib versus Placebo in Patients with Liver Cancer Who Received Previous Therapy with Sorafenib
- A Phase III Study of Sorafenib plus Doxorubicin versus Sorafenib Alone in Patients with Advanced Hepatocellular Cancer
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Ghassan K. Abou-Alfa
- A Phase I Study of ADI-PEG 20 plus FOLFOX in Patients with Advanced Digestive Cancers
- A Phase I/II Study of Gemcitabine, Cisplatin, and MEK162 as Initial Treatment for Advanced Bile Duct or Gallbladder Cancer
- A Phase Ib Study of Ramucirumab plus LY2875358 in Patients with Advanced Cancer
- A Phase II Study of BGJ398 in Patients with Persistent Bile Duct Cancer Containing an FGFR Gene Alteration
- A Phase III Study of Sorafenib Alone versus Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Followed by Sorafenib in Patients with Liver Cancer