I am a board-certified medical oncologist who treats patients with gastrointestinal cancers. My specialization is in primary liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma), pancreas, gallbladder, and bile duct tumors. As part of a multidisciplinary group, my colleagues and I offer patients a team approach to treating these cancers.
Read more Read less
My research focuses on improving the effectiveness of cancer therapy by incorporating small novel biological molecules that target cancer into the treatment of chemotherapy-resistant gastrointestinal malignancies, particularly hepatobiliary and pancreatic cancers.
- Clinical Expertise: Gastrointestinal Oncology; Pancreas, Gall Bladder, and Bile Duct Tumors; Primary Liver Cancer
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, American University of Beirut
- Residencies: Internal Medicine - Yale University School of Medicine
- Fellowships: Medical Oncology/Hematology - Yale University School of Medicine
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Led by Ghassan K. Abou-Alfa
- A Phase II Study of INCB054828 in Patients with Metastatic or Inoperable Bile Duct Cancer
- A Phase II Study of MEDI4736 and Tremelimumab, as Monotherapy or in Combination, in Unresectable Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- A Phase III Study of AG-120 versus Placebo in Patients with Previously Treated Inoperable or Metastatic Cholangiocarcinoma
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Ghassan K. Abou-Alfa
- A Phase I Study of ADI-PEG 20 plus FOLFOX in Patients with Advanced Digestive Cancers
- A Phase I Study of AG-881 to Treat Advanced Solid Tumors, including Gliomas, that Contain Mutated IDH1 or IDH2
- A Phase I/II Study Evaluating Hepatic Embolization with Bumetanide to Treat Inoperable Liver Cancer
- A Phase I/II Study of Enzalutamide with and without Sorafenib in Patients with Advanced Liver Cancer
- A Phase IB Study of LY3039478 plus Other Anticancer Therapies in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors
- A Study Assessing Nivolumab Immunotherapy Added to Chemoembolization for Liver Cancer
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more