I am a board-certified medical oncologist who treats patients with gastrointestinal cancers. My specialization is in primary liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma), pancreas, gallbladder, and bile duct tumors. As part of a multidisciplinary group, my colleagues and I offer patients a team approach to treating these cancers.
My research focuses on improving the effectiveness of cancer therapy by incorporating small novel biological molecules that target cancer into the treatment of chemotherapy-resistant gastrointestinal malignancies, particularly hepatobiliary and pancreatic cancers.
- Clinical Expertise: Gastrointestinal Oncology; Pancreas, Gall Bladder, and Bile Duct Tumors; Primary Liver Cancer
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, American University of Beirut
- Residencies: Internal Medicine - Yale University School of Medicine
- Fellowships: Medical Oncology/Hematology - Yale University School of Medicine
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Ghassan K. Abou-Alfa
- A Phase II Study of ENMD-2076 in Patients with Fibrolamellar Liver Cancer
- A Phase II Study of MEDI4736 and Tremelimumab, as Monotherapy or in Combination, in Unresectable Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- A Phase III Study of Cabozantinib versus Placebo in Patients with Liver Cancer Who Received Previous Therapy with Sorafenib
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Ghassan K. Abou-Alfa
- A Phase I Study of ADI-PEG 20 plus FOLFOX in Patients with Advanced Digestive Cancers
- A Phase I/II Study of Enzalutamide with and without Sorafenib in Patients with Advanced Liver Cancer
- A Phase Ib Study of Ramucirumab plus LY2875358 in Patients with Advanced Cancer
- A Phase II Study of AG-120 versus Placebo in Patients with Previously Treated Inoperable or Metastatic Cholangiocarcinoma
- A Phase III Study of Nivolumab Immunotherapy versus Sorafenib as Initial Treatment for Advanced Liver Cancer
- A Phase III Study of Sorafenib Alone versus Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Followed by Sorafenib in Patients with Liver Cancer
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more