I am an attending physician on the Gastroenterology and Nutrition Service, and Director of the GI Endoscopy unit at Memorial Hospital. My particular interests are in the precancerous condition Barrett’s esophagus, endoscopic methods of screening for and early detection of cancer, and endoscopic approaches to palliating symptoms of advanced cancer. I have been at Memorial Sloan Kettering for 30 years.
I knew from a young age I wanted to go into medicine and during residency found my passion in gastroenterology. It is an exciting time to be in this field because we can now detect and treat GI cancers at an earlier stage, reducing the chance that they become advanced.
Research that improves care is a large part of what drives me. I have studied endoscopic ultrasonography for the staging of upper and lower gastrointestinal cancers and pancreatic cancer, and have conducted clinical trials on how to best treat symptoms of gastrointestinal cancers. I also guide the next generation of gastroenterologists as a professor at Weill Medical College of Cornell University.
- Clinical Expertise: Gastroenterology; Gastrointestinal Cancers; Endoscopic Ultrasound; Endoscopic Laser Therapy; Endoscopic Resection of Early Cancer; Biliary Tract and Pancreas Endoscopy; Endoscopic Gastrostomy and Jejunostomy; Photodynamic Therapy; Radio Frequency Ablation
- Awards and Honors: New York Magazine Top Doctors (2007-2016)
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Cornell University Medical College
- Residencies: The New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Gastroenterology
As home to one of the world’s top cancer research centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering is typically involved in more than 900 clinical trials at a given time. Currently, clinical trials focused on the conditions I treat are enrolling new patients. If you’re interested in joining a clinical trial, click to learn about the trial’s purpose, eligibility criteria, and how to get more information.Learn more
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more