I am a medical oncologist specializing in the care of patients with sarcomas of soft tissue and bone. The word “sarcoma” encompasses more than 50 different rare types of cancer, each with unique characteristics and behavior. As an attending physician at Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, I work closely with leading sarcoma experts in medicine, surgery, radiation, pathology, cancer biology, and nursing to deliver the best patient care for each type of sarcoma.
My research interest is to further unravel the complexity of each type of sarcoma and develop new drugs in order to move away from the “one size fits all” paradigm. Currently, I am the lead investigator on several clinical trials in our division. I am also an attending physician in the Phase I Clinical Trials program, where I focus my research on discovering and developing new and exciting compounds that are more effective in treating all solid tumors and that are less toxic for the patient.
As an oncologist, my foremost goal is to recognize the unique needs of people living with cancer, improve the quality of their lives and maintain their dignity.
I am fluent in Tamil, Hindi and English.
- Clinical Expertise: Sarcomas of Soft Tissue and Bone; Developmental Therapeutics, phase I clinical trials.
- Languages Spoken: English; Hindi
- Education: MD, State University of New York, Syracuse
- Residencies: Northwestern University
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Mrinal M. Gounder
- A Phase I Study Assessing the Effects of Food and Formulation on the Processing of KPT-330 in Patients with Sarcoma
- A Phase I Study of DS-3032B in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors or Lymphomas
- A Phase I Study of Intratumoral Clostridium novyi-NT Spores in Patients with Persistent Solid Tumors
- A Phase III Study of Sorafenib versus Placebo in Patients with Desmoid Tumors
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Mrinal M. Gounder
- A Phase I Study of BVD-523 in Patients with Advanced Cancers
- A Phase I Study of KPT-330 in Patients with Advanced or Metastatic Solid Tumors
- A Phase I Study of Oral LEE011 in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors or Lymphomas
- A Phase I Study of TAS-119 plus Paclitaxel in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors