At Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK), we are committed to helping you live your best life during and after cancer treatment.
MSK Healthy Living is an evidence-based, personalized program with one-on-one support to help you in every aspect of your journey.
We understand it can be difficult to know where to start when you are dealing with cancer treatment.
MSK Healthy Living is designed to make your life simpler by bringing together all the resources of MSK to help you with nutrition and exercise; integrative medicine, such as acupuncture and massage; support for your mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being; sexual health; fertility and body image; sleep; financial health; and many other issues.
As a participant in MSK Healthy Living, here’s what you will experience:
- We will create a personal lifestyle plan tailored to your needs and concerns, based on a comprehensive self-assessment questionnaire that reflects the latest research on improving outcomes and quality of life for people in cancer treatment.
- A dedicated team will be with you every step of the way, to help choose the best resources for you, schedule appointments, keep your care team updated, and stay in touch to answer questions and help you meet your goals.
- MSK Healthy Living is available early in your treatment and will improve your transition to life after cancer, often called survivorship.
“This program has been so instrumental in my recovery!”
“I feel so fortunate to have all these options. I am grateful for the follow-up at intervals, as my needs evolve during my treatment.”
“I am getting great care. The exercise programs are gold!”
MSK Healthy Living is open to current MSK breast cancer patients who undergo surgery and meet other medical criteria.
For more information and to ask about requesting an appointment, please talk with your MSK care team.
Nutrition and Eating Well
Our food and nutrition team can help you maintain a healthy diet during cancer treatment, as well as eating in a way that reduces your risk for other health problems after treatment has ended. They will help you understand and cope with nutritional challenges related to cancer treatment, including managing possible digestion problems and changes in taste.
Exercise and Staying Active
Research shows that exercise can help with recovery from cancer and minimize the long-term effects of some treatments. MSK has done pioneering research on the benefits of staying active during and after cancer. Our exercise specialists will create a plan that is customized to your needs.
Our Integrative Medicine Service provides an array of complementary therapies that address chronic issues such as pain, neuropathy (numbness and tingling), fatigue and insomnia, stress, anxiety, mobility, and more. This includes complementary medicine, such as acupuncture, acupressure, massage, Reiki, exercise, and yoga classes.
Counseling, Support Services, and Financial Resources
Cancer is physically and emotionally challenging. We have many services dedicated to helping you through your journey. Our experts can provide counseling and support to help you and your family manage anxiety and other emotional difficulties of cancer and its treatment. We offer support groups and programs — both in person and online — that you can join to meet other people going through a similar experience or to provide guidance to others.
Social workers are an integral part of our care team and can provide you with information about how to speak about your diagnosis with family members, work colleagues, and friends. You can have an individual consultation to address your needs, which can either be onetime or ongoing.
Our social workers can also help address your financial concerns.
Cancer treatment can affect your sexual health and interest in sexual activity. Our experts — doctors, advanced practice providers, social workers, and psychologists — provide personalized care to address your concerns. Our dedicated Female Sexual Medicine and Women’s Health Program can help with physical symptoms and emotional challenges that may affect your sex life.
The Latest Research
Join a clinical trial
Clinical Trials Investigated by Dr. Iyengar
- A Phase I Study of Exercise Treatment with Standard Therapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer
- A Study of the Body’s Response to Exercise and a Plant-Based Diet in Overweight Postmenopausal Women with Breast Cancer
- Preventing High Blood Sugar with Ketogenic or Low Carbohydrate Diets or Medication in People Being Treated for Metastatic Breast Cancer
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Dr. Iyengar