At Memorial Sloan Kettering, social workers play an important role in providing emotional support and guidance to people with cancer, as well as friends, families, and caregivers.
Social workers help to provide emotional support and guidance to people with cancer, their friends, families, and caregivers. They can also help with some of the practical aspects of having cancer, such as transportation assistance and the impact on your job.
Some of the many roles that social workers provide at MSK are:
- Run in-person and online support groups
- Help with logistical concerns surrounding transportation, finances, and other practical issues
- Help in dealing with the impact of cancer on employment
- Oversee aspects of our 65+ program that coordinates the care of our older cancer patients
- Oversee elements of survivorship initiatives that occur through our Resources for Life After Cancer program
- Manage our bereavement program designed to help people who have lost a loved one to cancer
To speak with a social worker, please ask your Memorial Sloan Kettering doctor or nurse, or call the Department of Social Work directly at 212-639-7020.