The Schultz lab focuses on identifying the genomic alterations that underlie different types of cancer. By applying existing and novel computational methods to large scale cancer genomics data sets, the lab aims to better understand the complex mechanisms at the gene and at the pathway level that drive tumor initiation, progression and response to therapy, with the ultimate goal of identifying targeted therapeutic options for cancer patients. A new focus of the lab is the systematic extraction and standardization of clinical data elements from electronic health records. The lab is also involved in collaborative large-scale projects such as The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA), AACR Project GENIE, and the Human Tumor Atlas (HTAN). The group also has a strong interest in enabling discoveries by developing novel computational methods and databases that help bridge the divide between computer scientists on one side and clinicians and researchers on the other. Examples of these include the cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics, a popular resource for the visualization and analysis of cancer genomics data, and OncoKB, a precision oncology knowledgebase.
Nikolaus Schultz, PhD
Head of Knowledge Systems, Marie-Josée & Henry R. Kravis Center for Molecular Oncology
Research FocusCancer biologist Nikolaus Schultz uses computational tools to study the diversity of genomic alterations underlying different cancer types.
- Sanchez-Vega F, Mina M, Armenia J, Chatila WK, Luna A, La KC, Dimitriadoy S, Liu DL, Kantheti HS, Saghafinia S, Chakravarty D, Daian F, Gao Q, Bailey MH, Liang WW, Foltz SM, Shmulevich I, Ding L, Heins Z, Ochoa A, Gross B, Gao J, Zhang H, Kundra R, Kandoth C, Bahceci I, Dervishi L, Dogrusoz U, Zhou W, Shen H, Laird PW, Way GP, Greene CS, Liang H, Xiao Y, Wang C, Iavarone A, Berger AH, Bivona TG, Lazar AJ, Hammer GD, Giordano T, Kwong LN, McArthur G, Huang C, Tward AD, Frederick MJ, McCormick F, Meyerson M; Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network, Van Allen EM, Cherniack AD, Ciriello G, Sander C, Schultz N. Oncogenic Signaling Pathways in The Cancer Genome Atlas. Cell. 2018 Apr 5;173(2):321-337.e10. PMCID: PMC6070353.
- Yaeger R, Chatila WK, Lipsyc MD, Hechtman JF, et al. Clinical Sequencing Defines the Genomic Landscape of Metastatic Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Cell. 2018 Jan 8;33(1):125-136.e3.
- Geoffrey Beene Junior Faculty Chair (2019)
- Stupski Prize in Prostate Cancer Computational Oncology (2015)
- Young Investigator Award, Prostate Cancer Foundation (2014)
- Josie Robertson Investigator Award, Robertson Foundation (2013)