I am a board-certified medical oncologist caring primarily for patients with pancreas, biliary, esophagogastric, and other gastrointestinal cancers. I work closely with a team of surgeons, radiation therapists, and other specialists to provide the best treatment and individualized care for each patient with these diseases. My research focuses on improving the delivery of care to patients and their families by optimally integrating cancer care with palliative medicine, which is a rapidly growing medical specialty aimed at reducing distress and maximizing quality living for people with serious illnesses like cancer.
In an effort to improve my ability to communicate with and help patients with their symptoms and concerns, I augmented my medical oncology training with an additional fellowship in palliative medicine. For research work in patient–physician communication and education about cancer care planning, I was honored to receive a Young Investigator Award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) in 2010. For related research in cancer patient education and coping, I was granted a 2013 Career Development Award from the National Palliative Care Research Center (NPCRC). In collaboration with the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, I also teach communication skills to medical oncology fellows here at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Clinical Expertise: Esophageal Cancer; Gastric Cancer; Pancreatic, Biliary, and Colorectal Cancers; Palliative Medicine; Advance Care Planning
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Loyola University of Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine
- Residencies: Mount Sinai Medical Center (New York)
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (Medical Oncology); Mount Sinai Medical Center (Palliative Medicine)
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology; Palliative Medicine
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.