I am a clinical psychologist with expertise in treating men with prostate cancer and other genitourinary malignancies. As the psychological liaison to Memorial Sloan Kettering’s genitourinary and sexual medicine services, I provide short- and long-term counseling services to patients struggling with cancer-related issues. Men who are undergoing treatment for these diseases sometimes experience treatment-related sexual dysfunction, and I help them and their partners optimize intimacy before, during, and after treatment. I also work with the Center’s 65+ Program, providing psychological support for our patients who are 65 and older, and I co-facilitate a support group for patients dealing with the combined issues of cancer and aging.
Working with members of the symptom management, neurocognitive, and psychotherapy laboratories, I have focused my research on cancer’s impact on quality of life in prostate and geriatric cancer patients, and on developing new psychotherapy approaches for these groups. Some specific studies I have conducted include the impact of sexual dysfunction following cancer treatment; the cognitive effects of hormonal therapy on prostate cancer patients; distress in African-American men with prostate cancer; and developing assessment measures and psychotherapy specific to geriatric patients.
I am a member of many scientific and medical societies including Sexual Medicine Society of North American, Psycho-Oncology Association, and American Psychological Association, all organizations of specialists in my field. In addition, I am on the editorial board of and serve as statistical consultant for the Journal of Sexual Medicine and am a reviewer for various journals including the Journal of Urology and the Journal of Clinical Oncology. I am a member of Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Data Safety and Monitoring Committee.
- Clinical Expertise: Psycho-oncology; Clinical Psychology
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: PhD, Long Island University
- Residencies: Kings County Hospital Center, Brooklyn
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Christian J. Nelson
- Decision-Making about Active Surveillance among Prostate Cancer Patients and Their Partners/Allies
- Identifying and Measuring Depression in Older People with Cancer
- Sexual Recovery Intervention for Prostate Cancer Survivors and Their Partners
- The Impact of Androgen Ablation Therapy on Cognitive Functioning and Functional Status in Men with Prostate Cancer Age 65 and Older