I am the Deputy Chief of Clinical Affairs of the Thoracic Surgery Service at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. I am a general thoracic surgeon specializing in the surgical treatment of non-heart chest diseases of the lung, airway, esophagus, mediastinum, chest wall, and pleural spaces. My expertise is in the treatment of chest cancers, including lung cancer, esophageal cancer, mediastinal tumors such as thymoma, chest wall tumors, and malignant pleural mesothelioma. I have extensive experience in minimally invasive video-assisted thoracic surgical (VATS) approaches and am a pioneer in robotic thoracic surgery, having been one of the first to develop the robotic lobectomy technique for the treatment of localized lung cancer. I also utilize cutting-edge diagnostic and palliative modalities, such as endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS), navigational bronchoscopy, and stenting.
One of my clinical interests is in the care of advanced lung and esophageal cancer patients, in concert with colleagues from medical oncology, radiation oncology, and anatomic and molecular pathology who work to develop individualized treatment plans to enhance quality of life and outcomes. I am active in patient-centered outcomes research that focuses on improving the quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of cancer care, and I am working to establish standards for training and credentialing in the field of robotic thoracic surgery.
- Clinical Expertise: Lung Cancer; Robotic Surgery; VATS; Esophageal Cancer; Esophageal Disorders; Mediastinal Tumors; Chest Wall Tumors; Pleural Diseases
- Languages Spoken: English; Spanish
- Education: MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Residencies: New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center; Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Board Certifications: Surgery; Thoracic Surgery
As home to one of the world’s top cancer research centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering is typically involved in more than 900 clinical trials at a given time. Currently, clinical trials focused on the conditions I treat are enrolling new patients. If you’re interested in joining a clinical trial, click to learn about the trial’s purpose, eligibility criteria, and how to get more information.Learn more