I am a gynecologic oncologist who is dedicated to improving the lives of women with gynecologic cancers. These include ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, cervical cancer, and vulvar cancer. I am also committed to developing better ways to screen for and prevent gynecologic cancers in women who are at higher risk for these diseases. I perform surgeries at Memorial Hospital and Josie Robertson Surgery Center in Manhattan, and see patients at Rockefeller Outpatient Clinic, also in Manhattan, and MSK Basking Ridge, in New Jersey.
I am a daughter, mother, and wife who has been personally impacted by ovarian cancer. I understand the burden it can place on a woman’s entire life. My experiences not only affirm my career choice but also fuel my determination and passion in the operating room, and guide the way I develop relationships with each of my patients and their families.
At MSK, I am part of a team of surgeons that is clinically and scientifically committed to and passionate about treating ovarian cancer. Because of our streamlined focus and close collaboration, we are able to offer some of the best outcomes in the world for women with this disease. I perform about 250 gynecologic procedures each year, using minimally invasive techniques when appropriate so that women can get back to their lives more quickly after surgery. In addition, I am skilled at performing cytoreductive surgery, which means I remove all visible disease so that the cancer is more susceptible to chemotherapy. For women who want to start or grow their families, I perform fertility-preserving surgical procedures whenever possible.
One of my biggest focuses in and out of the operating room is helping women who are at high risk for developing a gynecologic cancer. I have extensive experience in performing risk-reduction surgery and am currently working with my colleagues to develop new strategies to improve this procedure. I am also researching the development of novel screening and early detection techniques with the goal of reducing the number of women who are impacted by gynecologic cancers.
Women who are diagnosed with a gynecologic cancer often take on a tremendous amount of information, stress, and added responsibility on top of their already busy lives. As their surgeon, I hope my patients feel confident and reassured that they have someone on their side who will help take on some of this burden.
- Clinical Expertise: Gynecologic Oncology; Ovarian Cancer; Uterine (Endometrial) Cancer; Cervical Cancer; Vulvar Cancer; Cytoreductive Surgery and Peritonectomy Procedures; Minimally Invasive Procedures (Including Laparoscopy and Robotics); Prevention of Ovarian and Endometrial Cancer in High-Risk Women; Fertility Sparing-Surgery
- Awards and Honors: Michael E. Burt MD, PhD Award for Superior Clinical & Operative Skills, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering; Award for Excellence in Teaching & Mentorship, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MS, Cornell University; MD, University of North Carolina
- Residencies: Obstetrics and Gynecology - New York University Medical Center
- Fellowships: Gynecologic Oncology - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Obstetrics and Gynecology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Kara Long Roche
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more