I am a medical oncologist specializing in the care of patients with lung cancer. My research interest lies in developing new therapies for patients with squamous cell carcinomas of the lung. Treatment options for patients with this type of lung cancer havelagged behind those for patients with lung adenocarcinomas. We are, however, beginning to unravel the molecular complexity of this disease, which we hope will herald in a new era of personalized medicine for our patients.
I am the lead investigator on all of our clinical trials for squamous cell lung cancer. I am also the lead clinical investigator in our effort to develop a comprehensive profile of the molecular perturbations found in squamous cell lung cancer tumors analyzed here at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. This effort will help us to guide our patients to appropriate clinical trials of new drugs.
Ultimately, the goal of our care is to maintain the dignity of our patients and to address their unique and disparate needs. The research I perform is meant to foster this, by providing the hope of better survival and improved quality of life.
- Clinical Expertise: Lung Cancer
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Residencies: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Paul K. Paik
- A Phase I Study of Certolizumab plus Chemotherapy for Patients with Stage IV Lung Adenocarcinoma
- A Phase IB Study of GSK3052230 with Chemotherapy in Patients with Metastatic Squamous Cell Lung Cancer or Advanced Pleural Mesothelioma
- A Phase II Study of Albumin-Bound Paclitaxel and Gemcitabine in Patients with Stage IV Squamous Cell Lung Cancer
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Paul K. Paik
- A Phase I Study of GSK2849330 in Patients with HER3-Positive Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- A Phase I Study of VS-5584 plus VS-6063 in Patients with Relapsed Malignant Mesothelioma
- A Phase II Study of Nintedanib plus Prednisone to Treat Radiation Pneumonitis
- Phase I Study of PF-02341066 in People with Advanced Cancer