I am a board-certified medical oncologist who is dedicated to improving the lives of patients with genitourinary tumors. My primary area of expertise is kidney cancer (renal cell carcinoma) and testicular cancer (germ-cell tumor). For more than 25 years, I have used my skills as a clinician to provide high-quality and compassionate care for cancer patients at Memorial Sloan Kettering.
In addition to providing patients with the highest standard of medical care, I have led more than 50 clinical trials in patients with kidney cancer and testicular cancer, including national and international multicenter clinical trials. My research has helped to identify five targeted drugs — sunitinib (Sutent®), pazopanib (Votrient®), axitinib (Inlyta®), temsirolimus (Torisel®), and everolimus (Afinitor®) — as effective treatments for patients with advanced kidney cancer. Also, I developed a system to aid in the prediction of treatment outcomes for patients taking medications for advanced kidney cancer; this (“MSKCC”) risk system is widely applied by physicians internationally to direct the care of patients. In the area of testicular cancer, my patient care and research efforts focus on developing better treatments for patients with difficult-to-treat tumors.
On both a national and international level, I work to improve the quality and delivery of cancer care for individuals diagnosed with kidney cancer and testicular cancer. I chair the National Comprehensive Care Network Kidney Cancer and Testicular Cancer Guidelines Panel. I have published more than 400 original articles, scientific reviews, chapters and abstracts, and given lectures worldwide, in countries that include Japan, China, Russia, Brazil, Germany, Spain and Turkey.
I am a recipient of the Career Development Award from the National Institutes of Health; the Willet F. Whitmore Award for Clinical Excellence from Memorial Sloan Kettering; and the Schonfeld Award from the Kidney Cancer Association, a charitable organization dedicated to kidney cancer patient advocacy. cacy.
- Clinical Expertise: Kidney Cancer; Germ Cell Tumors; Testicular Cancer; Autologous Bone Marrow Transplantation; Immunotherapy
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, University of Michigan Medical School
- Residencies: North Shore University Hospital; Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; The New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Robert J. Motzer
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Robert J. Motzer
- A Phase II Study of Axitinib plus Dalantercept or Placebo for Patients with Metastatic Kidney Cancer
- A Phase II Study of CRLX101 plus Bevacizumab versus Standard Therapy in Patients with Advanced Kidney Cancer
- A Phase II Study of Neoadjuvant Dose-Dense Gemcitabine and Cisplatin in Patients with Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- A Phase II Study of Paclitaxel/Ifosfamide/Cisplatin versus Bleomycin/Etoposide/Cisplatin in Patients Newly Diagnosed with Advanced Germ Cell Tumors