I am a medical oncologist specializing in the care of patients with soft tissue and bone sarcoma and merkel cell carcinoma. I work very closely with our multidisciplinary team of medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, nurses, and patient support advocates to provide the best care and treatment for patients with these diseases. Our highly specialized team recognizes and appreciates the unique challenges that confront our patients, and we are all committed to addressing their needs.
I hope to develop innovative ways to use the immune system to treat these rare cancers. Immunotherapy has proven to be successful in other cancers such as melanoma, kidney cancer and lung cancer. There are many drugs now available that work to enhance the body’s immune system to attack the cancer. In addition, there has been a great deal of progress using gene therapy to target cancer cells. This work involves the genetic manipulation of patients’ immune cells to recognize and kill their own cancer cells. Exploring these avenues has the potential to make immunotherapy a real option for our patients with sarcoma and merkel cell carcinoma.
I am also a member of the Immunotherapeutics Clinic (ITC), which designs and conducts early clinical trials using investigational therapies that use the body’s own immune system to fight multiple types of cancer.
As an attending physician at Memorial Sloan Kettering, I am at the forefront of this research and look forward to contributing to the field in meaningful ways while improving the lives of our patients.
- Clinical Expertise: Sarcomas of Soft Tissue and Bone; Melanomas; Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- Languages Spoken: English; Italian
- Education: MD, SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
- Residencies: Internal Medicine - New York University; Internal Medicine - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Fellowships: Oncology - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Sandra P. D'Angelo
- A Phase IA/IB Study of Immunotherapy with MTIG7192Awith or without Atezolizumab in Patients with Advanced Cancers
- A Phase II Study of Avelumab Immunotherapy in Patients with Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- A Phase II Study of T-VEC plus Pembrolizumab Immunotherapy in Patients with Sarcoma
- A Phase IIB Study of NY-ESO-1 T-Cell Immunotherapy in Patients with Advanced Myxoid/Round Cell Liposarcoma
- A Pilot Study of Genetically Engineered NY-ESO-1-Specific T Cells in Children and Adults with Persistent Synovial Sarcoma
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Sandra P. D'Angelo
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more