I am a board-certified radiation oncologist with expertise in treating cancers with brachytherapy (radiation placed inside of tumors) and image-guided radiation (using advanced medical imaging technology to deliver precise beams of radiation to safely destroy tumors.) Brachytherapy and image-guided radiation are both very effective and safe ways to treat tumors because high doses of radiation can be given to a tumor while sparing healthy tissue and causing few side effects.
I work with a multidisciplinary team of highly skilled surgeons, radiologists, medical physicists, radiation therapists, and nurses. Through these collaborations, we are able to take advantage of the sophisticated medical technology available at Memorial Sloan Kettering that is necessary to provide these types of treatment.
In addition, I am involved in clinical research that involves using image-guided technologies to treat tumors in all sites of the body, including adult brain and spine tumors, as well as liver tumors. I am also the primary investigator for several protocols using brachytherapy to treat cancers in the prostate.
I have been invited to speak in many scientific forums both nationally and internationally. I am currently serving on the board of directors of the American Brachytherapy Society.
- Clinical Expertise: Brachytherapy; Genitourinary Cancers; Brain Tumors; Spine and Bone Tumors: Spinal Cord Tumors; Stereotactic Radiosurgery; Liver Tumors; Image-Guided Radiotherapy
- Awards and Honors: New York Magazine Top Doctors (2016)
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, University of Alberta (Canada)
- Residencies: Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Radiation Oncology (U.S. and Canada)
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Yoshiya (Josh) Yamada
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Yoshiya (Josh) Yamada
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more