If you have been diagnosed with colon cancer, you may be facing a lot of difficult questions and feel overwhelmed. We want to help you regain control of your life with compassionate, personalized care from our team of experts. Your team will include doctors, nurses, and other experts whose only focus is colon cancer.
MSK specialists from all areas of colon cancer care will tailor a plan specifically for you. Our areas of expertise include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, rehabilitation, follow-up care after treatment, and quality-of-life issues. Having all of MSKs experts work together helps us ensure that we choose the best combination of therapies to treat the cancer and give you the best possible outcome.
How We Care For You
- Surgery is the most common treatment for people with colon cancer. At MSK, we have pioneered some of the most-advanced colon cancer treatments, including minimally invasive surgeries, which use smaller incisions than traditional surgeries. MSK’s surgeons are particularly skilled at methods that use a robotic system to provide greater precision and enhanced visibility. MSK doctors perform more of these kinds of surgeries than doctors at any other institution in the country. This gives us a high level of expertise that reduces recovery time and leads to fewer complications. We are also leaders in treating colon and rectal cancer with no surgery when possible.
- We understand how important it is to keep your life as normal as possible. Preserving your ability to use the bathroom normally as well as your sexual health is one of our key goals.
- We’re leading the development of treatments that decrease the need for surgery. Our care plan is uniquely designed for you.
- We treat many people with metastatic colon cancer. This is cancer that has spread beyond the colon to other parts of the body. Our colon experts work closely with MSK specialists who treat the liver, lungs, and other parts of the body. This gives us unparalleled expertise in treating the most difficult cases.
- Our clinical trials mean the people we treat have access to the newest, most advanced therapies.
- Our rehabilitation experts help you manage the stress and side effects of colon cancer and its treatment. We help you heal and stay healthy long after active treatment is done.
MSK’s doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals are dedicated to caring for people with colon cancer. We have experts in surgery, chemotherapy, follow-up care after treatment, and more.