- When did the Memorial Sloan Kettering residency program begin?
- How many residents are accepted each year?
- Is the Medication Use Safety residency program accredited by ASHP?
- What rotations are required for this program?
- What elective rotations are available?
- What is the staffing component of the residency?
- What are the other components of the residency?
- What are the benefits of a residency at Memorial Sloan Kettering?
The Medication Use Safety Program enrolled its first resident in July 2016.
The program at Memorial Sloan Kettering is designed to accept one resident for a twelve-month training program.
The program received ASHP accreditation in 2018.
Core rotations for the program include: medication safety leadership; drug policy; pharmacy operations; medication event analysis; material management; and clinical rotations–geriatrics, pediatric oncology, adult critical care, transitions of care, and pain management.
Elective rotations are variable depending on resident interest.
Resident will function as a chemotherapy infusion pharmacist at the Breast Oncology Clinic. Resident is expected to staff two evenings (2 hours per evening) during the weekdays. Exact dates can be arranged with the pharmacy manager based on staffing requirement and resident schedule.
In addition to core rotations, the resident will learn how to be a knowledgeable and informed presenter including experience delivering a lecture for our ACPE-accredited continuing pharmacy educational program. The resident will also be offered the opportunity to train for 4-5 weeks with the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) virtually, under the direction of Rita Jew, President of ISMP. Each resident will also frequently interact throughout the year with MSK’s interdisciplinary Division of Quality & Safety.
Each resident is provided with office space, a computer terminal, and full privileges at Memorial Library. Resident is also given the privilege to connect to clinical virtual desktop from home. Each resident also has the benefit of fully funded meeting attendance at:
- The American Society of Health-System Pharmacist (ASHP) Midyear Clinical meeting
- Hematology Oncology Pharmacy Association (HOPA) annual meeting OR The American Society of Health-System Pharmacist (ASHP) Summer Meetings and Exhibition
Residents are compensated with an annual salary of $65,000, along with a comprehensive benefits package, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 15 paid days off during the year.
Memorial Sloan Kettering offers subsidized housing for all residents. These apartments are approximately 20 minutes from the hospital.