Infections are a major complication of cancer treatment, so timely and appropriate antimicrobial therapy is critical for optimal patient outcomes. However, the large number of anti-infectives and the growing problem of microbial resistance have complicated prescribing. Establishing an antimicrobial stewardship program that can provide guidance and oversight of these medications in acute-care hospitals and other healthcare settings is increasingly encouraged.
Memorial Sloan Kettering has had an antibiotic management program (AMP) since 2001, which has the distinction of being one of New York City’s oldest antimicrobial stewardship programs. Susan Seo, an infectious disease (ID) physician and the program’s founding director, continues to lead the program. Other key members include full-time ID clinical pharmacists and a data manager. The AMP strives to ensure the optimal selection, dose, and duration of antimicrobials for effective treatment or prevention of infection while minimizing side effects and risk for subsequent resistance.
Meet the Team
Susan Seo, MD
Director, Antibiotic Management Program
Infectious Diseases Service
Nina Cohen, PharmD, BCPS, AQ-ID
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
Director, PGY-2 ID Pharmacy Residency
Samantha Steiger, PharmD, BCIDP
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
Carrie Tan, PharmD
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
Prior approval and post-prescription review: The primary goal of this process is to provide a system for rapid and rational antibiotic approval. Review guarantees that each patient receives the appropriate therapy, including dosing and duration. The AMP also performs targeted reviews to reevaluate antimicrobial therapy based on clinical, laboratory, and microbiologic data that are collected during a patient’s hospital stay.
AMP website: The AMP maintains a website on the MSK intranet, which serves as a repository for all evidence-based antibiotic and antifungal guidelines that have been developed for the institution. This site serves as a valuable resource for hospital staff. Some of the guidelines developed in partnership with various departments include Outpatient Fever & Neutropenia, Surgical Prophylaxis, Allogeneic and Autologous HSCT Prophylaxis, and Pediatric Antimicrobial Drug Dosing.
Education: Education is an important component of antimicrobial stewardship. ID fellows have an opportunity to work with the AMP during their microbiology/AMP/infection control rotation during their first year. The AMP also gives talks related to antimicrobial stewardship within the institution.
IDSNY Pre-Meeting Workshop for ID Fellows: Since 2013, AMP Director Susan Seo has been co-director for the Infectious Disease Society of New York (IDSNY) pre-meeting workshop on antimicrobial stewardship and infection control, which is held each spring. This is a half-day course created in partnership with Montefiore Medical Center for regional ID fellows. The program consists of interactive case-based learning in which solutions are discussed in an open forum among ID fellows and a local panel of experts from up to 12 area hospitals. The opportunity to supplement training in antimicrobial stewardship and infection control as well as to meet well-recognized experts in both fields has led to positive response from past attendees.
Research: The AMP works collaboratively with Infection Control, Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Pharmacy, IT, and various medical and surgical oncology services. Areas of clinical research include investigating stewardship methods to optimize antimicrobial use (such as a multicenter study evaluating post-prescription review and feedback), studying the relationship between antimicrobial exposure and clinical outcomes, and looking at the interplay between microbiologic testing and antimicrobial prescribing. Past ID fellows have worked with the AMP on stewardship-related projects and have presented their findings at local and national meetings. Incoming and current fellows, as well as other trainees, are welcome to engage in research projects with the AMP.
- Aitken SL*, Nagel JL*, Abbo L, Alegria W, Barreto JN, Dadwal S, Freifeld AG, Jain R, Pergam SA, Tverdek FP, Seo SK*; Antimicrobial Stewardship in Cancer Consortium. Antimicrobial stewardship in cancer patients: the time is now. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2019;17:772-775. doi: 10.6004/jnccn.2019.7318.
- Seo SK, Gedrimaite Z, Fleischer D, Cohen N, Petre E, Brown KT, Covey A. Impact of eliminating post-procedural antibiotic prophylaxis in patients without biliary instrumentation or bypass undergoing hepatic artery embolization for hepatic malignancies. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019;30:1895-1900. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2019.07.023. Epub 2019 Oct 26.
- Lin A, Maloy M, Su Y, Bhatt V, DeRespiris L, Griffin M, Lau C, Proli A, Barker J, Shaffer B, Giralt SA, Jakubowski AA, Papadopoulos EB, Papanicolaou GA, Seo SK*, Perales MA*. Letermovir for primary and secondary cytomegalovirus prevention in allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant recipients: real world experience. Transpl Infect Dis 2019;21:e13187. doi: 10.1111/tid.13187. Epub 2019 Oct 21.
- Recabal P, Lee T, Vertosick E, Manasia M, Eastham J, Touijer K, Seo SK, Spaliviero M, Ehdaie B. Quality improvement initiative to reduce variability and improve stewardship of antimicrobial prophylaxis for transrectal prostate needle biopsy. World J Urol 2019 Jun 12. doi: 10.1007/s00345-019-02845-0. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kamboj M, Cohen N, Huang YT, Kerpelev M, Jakubowski A, Sepkowitz KA, Papanicolaou GA, Seo SK. Impact of empiric treatment for vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus in colonized patients early after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2019; 25:594-598. doi: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2018.11.008. Epub 2018 Nov 15.
- Guzik J, Patel G, Kothari P, Sharp M, Ostrowsky B; UHF Outpatient ASP Collaborative Team. Antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory infections in New York City: a model for collaboration. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018;39:1360-1366. doi: 10.1017/ice.2018.227. Epub 2018 Sep 18.
- Brite J, McMillen T, Robilotti E, Sun J, Chow HY, Stell F, Seo SK, McKenna D, Eagan J, Montecalvo M, Chen D, Sepkowitz K, Kamboj M. Effectiveness of ultraviolet disinfection in reducing hospital-acquired Clostridium difficile and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus on a bone marrow transplant unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018;39:1301-1306. doi: 10.1017/ice.2018.215. Epub 2018 Sep 18.
- Weiser MR, Gonen M, Usiak S, Pottinger T, Samedy P, Patel D, Seo S, Smith JJ, Guillem JG, Temple L, Nash GM, Paty PB, Baldwin-Medsker A, Cheavers CE, Eagan J, Garcia-Aguilar J; Memorial Sloan Kettering Multidisciplinary Surgical-Site Infection Reduction Team. Effectiveness of a multidisciplinary patient care bundle for reducing surgical site infections. Br J Surg 2018;105:1680-1687. doi: 10.1002/bjs.10896. Epub 2018 Jul 4.
- Seo SK, Gedrimaite Z, Paskovaty A, Seier K, Morjaria S, Cohen N, Riedel E, Tang YW, Babady NE. Impact of QuickFISH in addition to antimicrobial stewardship on vancomycin use and resource utilization in cancer patients with coagulase-negative staphylococcal blood cultures. Clin Microbiol Infect 2018;24:1339.e7-1339.e12. doi: 10.1016/j.cmi.2018.03.006. Epub 2018 Mar 13.
- Varughese T, Taur Y, Cohen N, Palomba ML, Seo SK, Hohl TM, Redelman-Sidi G. Serious infections in patients receiving ibrutinib for treatment of lymphoid malignancies. Clin Infect Dis 2018;67:687-692.
- Park JH, Romero FA, Taur Y, Sadelain M, Brentjens RJ, Hohl TM, Seo SK. Cytokine release syndrome is a predictive marker for infections in relapsed or refractory B-cell ALL patients treated with CAR T cells. Clin Infect Dis 2018;67:533-540.
- Arguello Perez E, Seo SK, Schneider WJ, Eisenstein C, Brown AE. Management of latent tuberculosis infection among healthcare workers: 10-year experience at a single center. Clin Infect Dis 2017;65:2105-2111. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix725.
- Mathew S, Kussin ML, Liu D, Pozotrigo M, Seyboth B, Thackray J, Yan SQ, Hsu M, Cohen N, Seo SK. Retrospective analysis of posaconazole suspension dosing strategies in a pediatric oncology population: single-center experience. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc 2017 Sep 1;6(3):e149-e151. doi: 10.1093/jpids/pix058.
- Nori P, Madaline T, Munjal I, Bhar S, Guo Y, Seo SK, Porrovecchio A, Gancher E, Nosanchuk J, Pirofski LA, Ostrowsky B. Developing interactive antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention curricula for diverse learners: a tailored approach. Open Forum Infect Dis 2017 Jul 20;4:ofx117. doi: 10.1093/ofid/ofx117. eCollection 2017 Summer
- Pettit NN, Miceli MH, Rivera CG, Narayanan PP, Perissinotti AJ, Hsu M, delaCruz J, Gedrimaite Z, Han Z, Steinbeck J, Pisano J, Seo SK, Paskovaty A. Multicentre study of posaconazole delayed-release tablet serum level and association with hepatotoxicity and QTc prolongation. J Antimicrob Chemother 2017;72:2355-2358. doi: 10.1093/jac/dkx122.
- Yan SQ, Seyboth B, Kobos R, Eaton A, Seo SK, Cohen N. Voriconazole dosing in children younger than 3 years undergoing cancer chemotherapy or hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc 2017 Apr 12. doi: 10.1093/jpids/pix022. [Epub ahead of print]
- Robilotti E, Holubar M, Seo SK, Deresinski S. Feasibility and applicability of antimicrobial stewardship in immunocompromised patients. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2017;30:346-353. doi: 10.1097/QCO.0000000000000380.
- Satlin MJ, Chen L, Patel G, Gomez-Simmonds A, Weston G, Kim AC, Seo SK, Rosenthal ME, Sperber SJ, Jenkins SG, Hamula CL, Uhlemann AC, Levi MH, Fries BC, Tang YW, Juretschko S, Rojtman AD, Hong T, Mathema B, Jacobs MR,Walsh TJ, Bonomo RA, Kreiswirth BN. Bacteremia due to carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE): a multicenter clinical and molecular epidemiologic analysis in the nation’s epicenter for CRE. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2017 Mar 24;61(4). pii: e02349-16. doi: 10.1128/AAC.02349-16. Print 2017 Apr.
- Hamdy RF, Zaoutis TE, Seo SK. Antifungal stewardship considerations for adults and pediatrics. Virulence 2016 Sep 2:1-15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Seo SK, Lo K, Abbo LM. Current state of antimicrobial stewardship at solid organ and hematopoietic cell transplant centers in the US. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016;37:1195-1200. doi: 10.1017/ice.2016.149. Epub 2016 Jul 26.
- Satlin MJ, Cohen N, Ma KC, Gedrimaite Z, Soave R, Askin G, Chen L, Kreiswirth BN, Walsh TJ, Seo SK. Bacteremia due to carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae in neutropenic patients with hematologic malignancies. J Infect 2016;73:336-345. doi: 10.1016/j.jinf.2016.07.002. Epub 2016 Jul 9.
- Barlam TF, Cosgrove SE, Abbo LM, MacDongall C, Schuetz AN, Septimus EJ, Srinivasan A, Dellit TH, Falck-Ytter YT, Fishman NO, Hamilton CW, Jenkins TC, Lipsett PA, Malani PN, May LS, Moran GJ, Neuhauser MM, Newland JG, Ohl CA, Samore MH, Seo SK, Trivedi KK. Implementing an antibiotic stewardship program: guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. Clin Infect Dis 2016;62:e51-e77. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciw118. Epub 2016 Apr 13.
- Paskovaty A, Pastores SM, Gedrimaite Z, Kostelecky N, Riedel ER, Seo SK. Antimicrobial de-escalation in septic cancer patients: is it safe to back down? Intensive Care Med 2015;41:11:2022-2023. doi: 10.1007/s00134-015-4016-6. Epub 2015 Aug 22.
- Ludwig E, Cohen N, Papanicolaou GA, Seo SK. Screening and prevention of hepatitis B virus reactivation during chemotherapy. Oncology (Williston Park) 2015;29:937, 940-943.
- Cohen N and Seo SK. Role of antimicrobial prophylaxis during treatment of adults with acute leukemia. Int J Hematol Oncol 2015;4:77-86. doi:10.2217/ijh.15.7.
- Otto C, Shuptar S, Milord P, Essick C, Nevrekar R, Granovsky S, Seo SK, Babady NE, Martin S, Tang YW, Pessin M. Reducing unnecessary and duplicating ordering for ova & parasites and Clostridium difficile PCR using an alert at the time of request in the order management system. J Clin Microbiol 2015;53:2745-2748. doi:10.1128/JCM.00968-15.
- Paskovaty A, Lucarelli C, Patel P, Ryan M, Seyboth B, Thackray J, Pozotrigo M, Cohen N, Seo SK. Experience of one antimicrobial stewardship program’s collaborative approach to managing a critical pentamidine shortage. Amer J Health Syst Pharm 2014;71:2014-2018.
- Seo SK, Xiao K, Jongwutiwes U, Huang YT, Chung D, Maloy M, Giralt S, Barker JN, Jakubowski AA, Papanicolaou GA. Impact of peri-transplant vancomycin and fluoroquinolone administration on rates of bacteremia in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) recipients: a 12-year single institution study. J Infect 2014;69:341-351.doi:10.1016/j.jinf.2014.06.004. Epub 2014 Jun 12.
- Parameswaran L, Taur Y, Shah MK, Traina TA, Seo SK. Tolerability of chemotherapy in HIV-infected women with breast cancer: are there prognostic implications? AIDS Patient Care STDS 2014;28:358-364. doi:10.1089/apc.2013.0370. Epub 2014 May 19.
- Juthani-Mehta M, Seo SK, Bernstein P, Eagan J, Sohn S, Sepkowitz KA, Zuccotti G. Financial impact of coagulase-negative staphylococcal (CoNS) bacteremia at a cancer hospital. Epidemiol 4:147. doi:10.4172/2161-1165.1000147. Epub 2014 Jan 29.
- Cosgrove SE, Seo SK, Bolon MK, Sepkowitz KA, Climo MW, Diekema DJ, Speck K, Gunaseelan V, Noskin GA, Herwaldt LA, Wong E, Perl TM. CDC Epicenter Program. Evaluation of post-prescription review and feedback as a method of promoting rational antimicrobial use: a multicenter intervention. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2012;33:374-380.
- Kamboj M, Cohen N, Gilhuley K, Babady E, Seo SK, Sepkowitz KA. Emergence of daptomycin-resistant VRE: experience of a single institution. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2011;32:391-394.
- Kamboj M, Chung D, Seo SK, Pamer EG, Sepkowitz KA, Jakubowski AA, Papanicolaou G. The changing epidemiology of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus (VRE) bacteremia in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) recipients. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2010;16:1576-1581. Epub 2010 May 26.
- Mihu C, Paskovaty A, Seo SK. Antimicrobial stewardship considerations for cancer centers. In: Safdar A (ed). Principles and Practice of Cancer Infectious Diseases. 1st ed. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press;2011:491-498.
- Taur Y, Cohen N, Dubnow S, Paskovaty A, Seo SK. Effect of antifungal therapy timing on mortality in cancer patients with candidemia. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010;54:184-190. Epub 2009 Nov 2.
- Amigues I, Cohen N, Chung D, Seo SK, Plescia C, Jakubowski A, Barker J, Papanicolaou GA. Hepatic safety of voriconazole after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2010;16:46-52. Epub 2009 Oct 9.
- Cohen N, Mihu CN, Seo SK, Chung D, Chou J, Heller G, Papanicolaou GA. Hematologic safety profile of linezolid in the early periengraftment period after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2009;15:1337-1341. Epub 2009 Jul 26.
- Paskovaty A, Pflomm JM, Myke N, Seo SK. A multidisciplinary approach to antimicrobial stewardship: evolution into the 21st century. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2005;25:1-10.
- Tan CA, Seo SK, Papanicolaou GA, Cohen N. Risk of cytomegalovirus reactivation and antiviral toxicity with preemptive therapy compared to letermovir prophylaxis in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (IDSNY Annual Harold Neu Symposium: Hot Topics in Infectious Diseases 2019, May 7, 2019, New York, NY)
- Bailey KA, Camacho-Bydume C, Fassel HL, Kinnaman MD, Massey AC, Smith MH, Seo S, Wexler L. Outpatient step-down management of low-risk pediatric patients with fever and neutropenia: the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center experience. (2019 ASPHO Conference, May 1-4, 2019, New Orleans, LA)
- Seo SK, Depaola N, Bist T, Cohen N, Scipione M, Ellsbury S, Ames A, Kumar A. Improving antibiotic prescribing in adults with lymphoma and acute respiratory tract infections. (2019 MSK Performance Improvement Fair, April 29-30, 2019, New York, NY)
- Lau C, Politikos I, Maloy M, Naputo K, Afuye O, Devlin S, Bhatt V, Giralt S, Jakubowski A, Papadopoulos E, Perales M, Shaffer B, Seo SK, Papanicolaou G, Barker JN. High efficacy of letermovir prophylaxis in adult cytomegalovirus seropositive cord blood transplant (CBT) recipients suggests a new standard of care in adult CBT. (Transplantation & Cellular Therapy Meeting of ASBMT and CIBMTR, February 20-24, 2019, Houston, TX)
- Herrera A, Scipione M, Lee YJ, Taur Y, Papanicolaou G, Hohl T, Kaltsas A, Seo SK. The role of early Infectious Disease consultation for carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE)-colonized patients undergoing chemotherapy for acute leukemia or allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT). (Infectious Diseases Society of New York Annual Harold Neu Symposium: Hot Topics in Infectious Diseases 2018, May 1, 2018, Bronx, NY)
- Varughese TA, Redelman-Sidi G, Cohen N, Seo SK, Hohl TM. Infections in patients receiving ibrutinib for treatment of lymphoma – a single center experience. (IDWeek 2017, October 4-8, 2017, San Diego, CA)
- Seo S, Gedrimaite Z, McMillen T, Featherstone C, Grant-Navarro P, Krist N, Papadopoulos E, Papanicolaou G, Babady NE, Kamboj M. Screening for multidrug-resistant (MDR) gram-negative organisms and progression to bloodstream infections in hematopoietic cell transplant (HCT) patients: a single-center pilot study. (IDWeek 2017, October 4-8, 2017, San Diego, CA)
- Romero FA, Mathews E, Flores A, Seo S. Impact of an antibiotic stewardship program in long-term care facilities: a nursing home network experience. (IDWeek 2017, October 4-8, 2017, San Diego, CA)(oral presentation)
- Chan SY, Chung D, Cheteyan L, Seo S, Papanicolaou G. Trends in rates of gram-negative bloodstream infections (BSI) and fluoroquinolone (FQ) resistance in allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant (HCT) recipients at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center during 2012-2016. (IDWeek 2017, October 4-8, 2017, San Diego, CA)
- Powell EA, Kamalska-Cyganik M, Scipione M, Seo SK, Babady NE. Initial impact of the FilmArray Meningitis/Encephalitis panel at a cancer hospital. (Clinical Virology Symposium 2017, May 7-10, 2017, Savannah, GA)
- Lopez J, Kamalska-Cyganik M, Seo SK, Babady E. Clinical and laboratory impact of a multiplexed gastrointestinal pathogen panel at a cancer hospital: a single-center experience. (Clinical Virology Symposium 2017, May 7-10, 2017, Savannah, GA)
- Seo SK, Kralovic N, Gedrimaite Z, Cohen N, Dang T, Paskovaty A, Gerecitano J. Improving antibiotic prescribing for adults with lymphoma and acute upper respiratory tract infections. (2017 MSKCC Performance Improvement Fair, April 24-25, 2017, New York, NY)
- Seo SK, Gedrimaite Z, Fleischer D, Cohen N, Petre EN, Brown K, Covey A. Impact of discontinuation of post-procedure antibiotic prophylaxis for hepatic arterial embolization. (2017 MSKCC Performance Improvement Fair, April 24-25, 2017, New York, NY)
- Robilotti E, Cohen N, Kamboj M, Seo S. Antibiotic exposure after Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) diagnosis in pediatric oncology patients. (IDWeek 2016, October 26-30, 2016, New Orleans, LA)
- Romero FA, Seo SK, Taur Y, Sauter C, Park J, Hohl TM. Infections presenting 30 days after Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) modified T-cells: a single-center experience. (IDWeek 2016, October 26-30, 2016, New Orleans, LA)
- Otto C, Buonocore D, Cohen N, Leduc C, Seo S, Babady E. Comparison of fungal culture to surgical pathology exam in the detection of dimorphic fungi and the impact on treatment and outcomes: a 25 year retrospective review at a tertiary cancer center. (51st annual meeting of the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists, June 2-4, 2016, Birmingham, AL)
- Pettit N, Miceli M, Rivera C, Perissinotti A, delaCruz J, Gedrimaite Z, Han Z, Steinbeck J, Hsu M, Narayanan P, Pisano J, Seo S, Paskovaty A. Multicenter study of posaconazole delayed-release tablet serum level and association with hepatic and cardiac toxicity. (ASM Microbe 2016, June 16-20, 2016, Boston, MA)
- Paskovaty A, Babady EN, Tang YW, Kamboj M, Seo SK. Oritavancin susceptibility testing among vancomycin resistant Enterococcus faecium blood isolates. (ASM Microbe 2016, June 16-20, 2016, Boston, MA)
- Yan SQ, Seyboth B, Kobos R, Cohen N, Seo SK. Voriconazole dosing in children younger than 3 years undergoing cancer chemotherapy or hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. (The American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology’s 29th Annual Meeting, May 11-14, 2016, Minneapolis, MN)
- Wiesenthal A, Lucca Bianchi A, Dave V, Sidlow R, Seo S, Korenstein D. Inpatient care at the end of life: a close look. (2015 Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium, October 9-10, 2015, Boston, MA)
- Abbo L, Lo K, Seo SK. Antimicrobial stewardship programs in solid organ and hematopoietic stem cell transplant centers. (IDWeek 2015, October 7-11, 2015, San Diego, CA)
- Ostrowsky B, Nori P, Munjal I, del Castillo M, Seo SK. Pooling NYC resources to educate fellows about antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention and control (IDWeek 2015, October 7-11, 2015, San Diego, CA)
- Satlin MJ, Cohen N, Ma KC, Gedrimaite Z, Walsh TJ, Seo SK. Prevalence, risk factors and outcomes of bacteremia due to carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae in neutropenic patients with hematologic malignancies. (IDWeek 2014, October 8-12, 2014, Philadelphia, PA)
- Palomino P, Cohen N, Gedrimaite Z, Riedel E, Paskovaty A, Chou A, Renaud T, Tang YW, NE Babady, Seo SK. Can the respiratory viral panel reduce antibiotic use in hospitalized pediatric patients with cancer? (54th annual meeting of ICAAC, September 5-9, 2014, Washington, DC)
- Jongwutiwes U, Xiao K, Chung D, Chakraborty A, Giralt S, Jakubowski A, Seo SK, Papanicolaou G. Trends in rates and organisms of bacteremia after allogeneic stem cell transplantation during two different prophylactic strategies: a 12-year experience at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. (2013 BMT Tandem Meetings, February 13-17, 2013, Salt Lake City, UT)
- Taur Y, Chung D, Parameswaran L, Lee YJ, Jakubowski A, Seo S, Papanicolaou G. Trends in early bloodstream infections in patients undergoing hematopoietic allogeneic stem cell transplantation. (49th annual meeting of IDSA, October 20-23, 2011, Boston, MA)
- Taur Y, Cohen N, Dubnow S, Paskovaty A, Seo S. Effect of antifungal timing on mortality in cancer patients with candidemia. (47th annual meeting of ICAAC, September 17-20, 2007, Chicago, IL)
- Paskovaty A, Kim M, Djurkovic S, Zhang H, Halpern NA, Pastores SM, Seo SK. Impact of empiric antimicrobial selection on hospital mortality of critically ill cancer patients with bloodstream infections. (35th annual meeting of the Society of Critical Care Medicine, January 7-11, 2006, San Francisco, CA)
- Djurkovic S, Kim M, Zhang H, Paskovaty A, Halpern N, Seo SK, Pastores S. Prevalence and outcome of bloodstream infections in cancer patients admitted to the intensive care unit. (43rd annual meeting of IDSA, October 6-9, 2005, San Francisco, CA)
PGY-2 ID Pharmacy Residency
The MSK Antibiotic Management Program (AMP) seeks to prepare the next generation of Infectious Disease (ID) clinical pharmacists to be effective antimicrobial stewards. Antimicrobial stewardship is an integral part of training for the PGY2 ID pharmacy residents. The residents work closely with staff from infectious diseases, microbiology, infection prevention, and pharmacy to improve antibiotic use throughout our hospital system. The AMP also works closely with data analysts and utilizes the clinical information system to extract and trend the data to aid antimicrobial stewardship efforts.
More information on the MSKCC PGY-2 Infectious Diseases pharmacy residency can be found here.