The Hospital Medicine Service at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK), led by Barbara C. Egan, MD, is a pioneer in the definition and development of the field of oncologic hospital medicine. Our expert team of hospitalists provide comprehensive, evidence-based medical care to patients with cancer who are hospitalized and/or admitted to the main hospital at MSK (Memorial Hospital). Most of our hospitalists are trained and board-certified in internal medicine.
- Address acute medical issues.
- Manage medical comorbidities, as well as complications of cancer and its treatment.
- Provide compassionate, patient-centered end-of-life care that is sensitive to the needs of patients and their families at this time in the cancer treatment journey.
The care offered by our service is predicated on the latest and safest approaches to oncologic hospital medicine. We work in close collaboration with each patient’s medical oncologist and multidisciplinary care team to deliver high-quality coordinated care.
The Hospital Medicine Service covers the following 10 inpatient medical services within the Department of Medicine at MSK:
- Breast Medicine Service
- Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology
- General Internal Medicine Service
- Genitourinary Medical Oncology Service
- Gynecologic Medical Oncology Service
- Head & Neck Oncology Service
- Melanoma Service
- Myeloma Service
- Sarcoma Medical Oncology Service
- Supportive Care Service
- Thoracic Oncology Service
This includes daytime and overnight coverage of these services.
In addition to direct coverage, the Hospital Medicine Service also participates in quality improvement efforts and research aimed at identifying opportunities to continue to optimize care delivery in the inpatient setting. Our team also trains interns as part of MSK’s Transitional Year Residency Program, which allows house staff and medical students from neighboring residency programs to rotate at MSK. This experience enables our physicians to empower the next generation of hospitalists through hands-on training at the institution.