Cancer and its treatments can cause symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbance, and digestive tract dysfunction that impact patients’ quality of life. Although prescription drugs are often the mainstay of symptom management, there are clinical scenarios in which a patient cannot tolerate a particular drug due to its side effects or does not respond adequately to the drug. Therefore, non-drug interventions need to be explored.
Evidence suggests that certain Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) herbal formulas can help reduce common symptoms. This course is designed for healthcare professionals who wish to acquire knowledge about these formulas, understand the current evidence base, and assess clinical scenarios where these may be helpful.
- Recognize the properties and current evidence of six Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) herbal formulations for cancer treatment-related side effects.
- Identify appropriate treatment-related complications and quality of life indications which may be improved with the herbal formulations.
- Explain the mechanisms of action for each herbal formula.
- Distinguish the properties, benefits, and contraindications of each herbal formulation to support delivery of personalized, patient-centered care.
- Apply gained knowledge to clinical scenarios where these herbal formulations may be helpful.
Modules in this course include:
- An introduction and welcome message
- A Primer on Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbs
- One module on each of the six TCM herbal formulas for common cancer symptoms
- Virtual Clinic and Herbal Resources
- Course Exam
Memorial Sloan Kettering is an approved Professional Development Activity (PDA) provider #299 of the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM).
The NCCAOM designates this distance online education program for a maximum of 7.5 PDA points.
- Advanced Practice Providers
- Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine
- Family Medicine Physicians
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine Specialists
- Registered Nurses
- Social Workers
- Psychiatrists and Psychologists
This education program takes approximately 7 hours to complete and consists of modules within the course that are interactive and engaging for the learner. All progress is saved along the way and may be returned to at any time by logging into our learning management system.
About Our Online Learning Website:
Our Integrative Medicine Service enlists Bridge, a native cloud learning management system, to offer a unique engagement platform to host our online courses. Bridge’s intuitive design and mobile platforms will allow you to complete your course on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
Once your payment of the course fee is processed successfully, you will receive a receipt from MSK sent directly to the email account you entered during registration. Within 48 hours, the Integrative Medicine Education Coordinator will upload your name, email, and course selection into Bridge. Once completed, you will receive an email from Bridge containing a link to access the Bridge app. You will be asked to create a username and password to establish your personal Bridge account. Every time you wish to continue working on the course, you will return to the Bridge app and enter the username and password you created.
For questions and assistance with the registration process, please email [email protected]