When integrative medicine approaches are a part of the conversation, studies have demonstrated an increase in participatory decision-making, patient-centered communication, and improved outcomes. Learners will complete Integrative Breast Oncology with a foundational knowledge of integrative oncology and its role in breast cancer care, as well as an enhanced proficiency in communicating with patients and caregivers about evidence-based uses of integrative medicine modalities for breast cancer-related symptoms and side effects.
Lectures on herbs and dietary supplements, mindfulness and mind-body therapies, and acupuncture each present the most current data and strategies for discussing treatment options with patients.
Presentations in this course include:
- Herbs & Dietary Supplements: Current Guidelines for Cancer Care Providers
- Phytoestrogens and Breast Cancer
- Cannabis, CBD, and Cancer
- Lifestyle Management in Oncology: Current Exercise & Diet Guidelines
- Mindfulness and Mind-Body Therapies
- Acupuncture for Oncology Treatment-Related Side Effects
- Insomnia in the Cancer Survivor
- Words Matter: Effective Communicating about Integrative Therapies
Following this course, learners will apply their gained knowledge of evidence-based uses of integrative modalities in treating breast cancer-related symptoms and side effects within their own practice. They will also gain access to MSK IMS referral guidelines to support their patients with recommendations for referrals.
- Define integrative oncology and its role in cancer care.
- Enhance proficiency in communicating with patients and caregivers about evidence-based uses of integrative modalities.
- Identify safe and supportive integrative treatments for breast cancer-related symptoms and side effects.
- Identify common and preventable herb-drug interactions.
- Summarize the current neuroscience mechanisms of action for acupuncture treatment of breast cancer side effects.
- Explore the use of cannabis and CBD in the treatment of cancer-related symptoms and side effects.
- Summarize current state of supplement use among people with cancer.
- Provide evidence-based guidelines to patients on diet, exercise, and sleep behaviors during and after breast cancer treatment.
This education program consists of 10, 20–30-minute lectures with comprehension checks following each module. There is an exam following the modules, requiring a passing score of 80% to complete the program.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center designates this enduring material for a maximum of 5.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This education program is intended for health care providers (physicians, advanced practice providers, nurses, and integrative medicine practitioners) who diagnose, manage, and treat breast cancer and those who develop programs (administrators) to improve quality of life for people with breast cancer.
Our Integrative Medicine Service enlists Bridge, a native cloud learning management system, to offer a unique engagement platform to host our online courses. Bridge’s intuitive design and mobile platforms will allow you to complete your course on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
Once your payment of the course fee is processed successfully, you will receive a receipt from MSK sent directly to the email account you entered during registration. Within 48 hours, the Integrative Medicine Education Coordinator will upload your name, email, and course selection into Bridge. Once completed, you will receive an email from Bridge containing a link to access the Bridge app. You will be asked to create a username and password to establish your personal Bridge account. Every time you wish to watch a lecture, you will return to the Bridge app and enter the username and password you created.
For questions and assistance with the registration process, please email [email protected]