The Department of Laboratory Medicine provides all of the testing of blood, urine, and other fluids that Memorial Sloan Kettering adult and pediatric patients require for diagnosing, staging, and monitoring the effects of therapy.
We maintain laboratories on our main campus, several outpatient sites in Manhattan, and at various regional sites. Over the course of a typical weekday, we processes 2000 samples and perform 8,000 clinical laboratory tests. Each month, we transfuse over 3,500 blood products and perform 620 collections of donor blood and other products.
Our clinical services include:
- Cell Therapy
- Clinical Chemistry
- Clinical Hematology and Immunology
- Clinical Microbiology
- Hematopathology (jointly with the Department of Pathology)
- Transfusion Medicine (includes the Blood Bank, Blood Donor Program, and Apheresis).
Our experts also play a vital role in clinical research through contributions we make to the development of new laboratory tests and diagnostic platforms.
We also strive to implement the use of new technologies when appropriate and beneficial to our patients.
Licensing and Accreditation
Our laboratory is licensed by the New York State Department of Health and accredited by:
- The Joint Commission (formerly the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations)
- the AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks)
- the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT).