Dr. Moskowitz’s research interests involve developing and evaluating medical tests such as risk prediction models and radiographic imaging tools that can be used to detect disease and predict future outcomes. Within this framework, her work is primarily focused on identifying individuals at high risk of health problems associated with cancer and its treatment. She is the recipient of a grant from the National Institutes of Health to develop a model that predicts the risk of breast cancer in females who were treated with chest radiation for a pediatric malignancy. Complementing this work, Dr. Moskowitz is involved in collaborative work in two main areas. First, she collaborates with colleagues in the cancer survivorship program in researching issues pertinent to survivors of cancer and has contributed to the design and analysis of studies in this area. Second, she collaborates with investigators in the Department of Radiology and has worked on the design and analysis of a variety of studies assessing different imaging modalities and potential biomarkers. In conjunction with this work, Dr. Moskowitz continues to be interested in statistical methods for developing and assessing medical tests.
Moskowitz CS, Pepe MS. Quantifying and comparing the predictive accuracy of continuous prognostic factors for binary outcomes. Biostatistics 2004;5:113-127.
Moskowitz CS, Pepe MS. Quantifying and comparing the accuracy of binary biomarkers when predicting a failure time outcome. Statistics in Medicine 2004;23:1555-1570.
Moskowitz CS, Pepe MS. Comparing the predictive values of diagnostic tests: sample size and analysis for paired study designs. Clinical Trials. 2006 June; 3:272-279.
Moskowitz CS, Seshan VE, Riedel ER, Begg CB. Estimating the empirical Lorenz curve and Gini coefficient in the presence of error with nested data. Statistics in Medicine. 2008 Jul; 27(16): 3191-3208.
Moskowitz CS, Jia X, Schwartz LH, Gönen M. A simulation study to evaluate the impact of the number of lesions measured on response assessment. Eur J Cancer. 2009 Jan; 45(2): 300-310.
- Alonzo TA, Pepe MS, Moskowitz CS. Sample size calculations for comparative studies of medical tests for detecting presence of disease. Stat Med 2002; 21:835-852.
- Alonzo TA, Braun TM, Moskowitz CS. Small sample estimation of relative accuracy for binary screening tests. Stat Med. 2004; 23:21-34.
- Moskowitz CS, Pepe MS. Quantifying and comparing the predictive accuracy of continuous prognostic factors for binary outcomes. Biostatistics. 2004; 5:113-127.
- Moskowitz CS, Pepe MS. Quantifying and comparing the accuracy of binary biomarkers when predicting a failure time outcome. Stat Med 2004; 23:1555-1570.
- Cai T and Moskowitz CS. Semiparametric estimation of the binormal ROC curve. Biostatistics 2004; 5(4): 573-586.
- Gollub MJ, Lefkowitz R, Moskowitz CS, Ilson D, Kelsen D, Felderman H. Pelvic CT in patient with esophageal cancer. Am J Roentgenol 2005; 184:487-490.
- Zhao B, Schwartz LH, Moskowitz CS, Wang L, Ginsberg MS, Cooper CA, and Kalagian JP. Pulmonary metastases: effect of CT section thickness on measurement-initial experience. Radiology 2005; 234:934-939.
- Kim MJ, Holodny AI, Hou BL, Peck KK, Moskowitz CS, Bogomolny DL, and Gutin PH. The effect of prior surgery on BOLD fMRI in the pre-operative assessments of brain tumors. Am J Neuroradiol. 2005 Sep; 26(8):1980-5.
- Modi S, DiGiovanna MP, Lu Z, Moskowitz C, Panageas KS, Van Poznak C, Hudis CA, Norton L, Tan L, Stern DF, Carter D, Seidman AD. Phosphorylated/activated HER2 as a marker of clinical resistance to single agent taxane chemotherapy for metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Invest. 2005;23(6):483-7.
- Pucar D, Shukla-Dave A, Hricak H, Moskowitz CS, Kuroiwa K, Olgac S, Ebora L, Scardino PT, Koutcher JA, Zakien KL. Correlation of MR imaging and spectroscopy with step section histopathology in prostate cancer after external beam radiation therapy -initial exploratory analysis. Radiology. 2005 Aug; 236(2):545-53.
- Gross ND, Morrow JD, Boyle JO, Williams MK, Moskowitz CS, Subbaramaiah K, Dannenberg AJ, Duffield-Lillico AJ. Levels of PGE-M, the Major Urinary Metabolite of PGE2, are Increased in Smokers. Clin Cancer Res. 2005 Aug 15; 11(16):6087-93.
- Gollub MJ, Yoon S, Smith LM, Moskowitz CS. Does the CT whirl sign really predict small bowel volvulus?: Experience in an oncologic population. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2006 Jan-Feb; 30(1):25-32.
- Sala E, Eberhardt SC, Akin O, Moskowitz CS, Onyebuchi CN, Kuroiwa K, Ishill N, Zelefsky MJ, Eastham JA, Hricak H. Endorectal MR imaging before salvage prostatectomy: tumor localization and staging. Radiology. 2006 Jan; 238(1):176-83.
- Sala E, Akin O, Moskowitz CS, Eisenberg HF, Kuroiwa K, Ishill NM, Rajashanker B, Scardino PT, Hricak H. Endorectal MR imaging in the evaluation of seminal vesicle invasion: diagnostic accuracy and multivariate feature analysis. Radiology. 2006 Mar; 238(3):929-37.
- Akin O, Sala E, Moskowitz CS, Kuroiwa K, Ishill NM, Pucar D, Scardino PT, Hricak H. Transition zone prostate cancers: features, detection, localization, and staging at endorectal MR imaging. Radiology. 2006 Jun; 239(3):784-92.
- Kissane DW, McKenzie M, Bloch S, Moskowitz CS, McKenzie DP, and O’Neill I. Family focused grief therapy: a randomized controlled trial in palliative care and bereavement. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2006 Jul; 163(7):1208-18.
- Moskowitz CS, Pepe MS. Comparing the predictive values of diagnostic tests: sample size and analysis for paired study designs. Clinical Trials. 2006 June; 3:272-279.
- Zhao B, Schwartz LH, Moskowitz CS, Ginsberg MS, Rizvi NA, Kris MG. Lung cancer: computerized quantification of tumor response—initial results. Radiology. 2006 Dec; 241(3):892-98.
- Wang L, Zhang J, Schwartz LH, Eisenberg H, Ishill NM, Moskowitz CS, Scardino P, Hricak H. Incremental value of multiplanar cross-referencing for prostate cancer staging with endorectal MRI. Am J Roentgenol. 2007 Jan; 188(1):99-104.
- Zhang J, Lefkowitz RA, Ishill NM, Wang L, Moskowitz CS, Russo P, Eisenberg H, Hricak H. Solid renal cortical tumors: differentiation with CT. Radiology. 2007 Aug; 244(2):494-504.
- Zhang J, Lefkowitz RA, Wang L, Ishill NM, Moskowitz CS, Russo P, Hricak H. Significance of peritumoral vascularity on CT in evaluation of renal cortical tumor. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2007 Sep-Oct;31(5):717-23.
- Shukla-Dave A, Hricak H, Moskowitz CS, Ishill N, Akin O, Kuroiwa K, Spector J, Kumar M, Reuter VE, Koutcher JA, Zakian KL. Detection of prostate cancer with MR spectroscopic imaging: an expanded paradigm incorporating polyamines. Radiology. 2007 Nov; 245(2):499-506.
- Moskowitz CS, Seshan VE, Riedel ER, Begg CB. Estimating the empirical Lorenz curve and Gini coefficient in the presence of error with nested data. Statistics in Medicine. 2008 Jul; 27(16): 3191-3208.
- Mazaheri Y, Shukla-Dave A, Hricak H, Fine SW, Zhang J, Inurrigarro G, Moskowitz CS, Ishill NM, Reuter VE, Touijer K, Zakian KL, Koutcher JA. Prostate cancer: identification with combined diffusion-weighted MR imaging and 3D 1H MR spectroscopic imaging—correlation with pathologic findings. Radiology. 2008 Feb; 246(2): 480-488.
- King V, Ginsberg MS, Vaze AA, Moskowitz CS, Smith LJ. D-dimer assay to exclude pulmonary embolism in a high-risk oncologic population: correlation with CT pulmonary angiography in an urgent care setting. Radiology. 2008 Jun; 247(3): 854-861.
- Zhang J, Mironov S, Hricak H, Ishill NM, Moskowitz CS, Soslow RA, Chi DS. Characterization of adnexal masses using feature analysis at contrast-enhanced helical computed tomography. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2008 Jul-Aug;32(4):533-540.
- Hoppe BS, Moskowitz CH, Filippa DA, Moskowitz CS, Kewalramani T, Zelenetz AD, Yahalom J. Involved-field radiotherapy before high-dose therapy and autologous stem-cell rescue in diffuse large-cell lymphoma: long-term disease control and toxicity. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Apr 10;26(11):1858-64. Mar 10. Erratum in: J Clin Oncol. 2008 Aug 20;26(24):4053.
- Akin O, Sala E, Moskowitz CS, Ishill N, Soslow RA, Chi DS, Hricak H. Perihepatic metastases from ovarian cancer: sensitivity and specificity of CT for the detection of metastases with and those without liver parenchymal invasion. Radiology. 2008 Aug;248(2):511-517.
- Moskowitz CS, Jia X, Schwartz LH, Gönen M. A simulation study to evaluate the impact of the number of lesions measured on response assessment. Eur J Cancer. 2009 Jan; 45(2): 300-310.
- Oeffinger KC, Ford JS, Moskowitz CS, Diller LR, Hudson MM, Chou JF, Smith SM, Mertens AC, Henderson TO, Friedman DL, Leisenring WM, Robison LL. Breast cancer surveillance practices among women previously treated with chest radiation for a childhood cancer. JAMA 2009; 301(4): 404-414
- Shukla-Dave A, Hricak H, Ishill NM, Moskowitz CS, Drobnjak M, Reuter VE, Zakian KL, Scardino PT, Cordon-Cardo C. Correlation of MR imaging and MR spectroscopic imaging findings with Ki-67, phospho-Akt, and androgen receptor expression in prostate cancer. Radiology. 2009 Mar;250(3):803-12. PMCID: PMC2680166.
- Shukla-Dave A, Hricak H, Ishill N, Moskowitz CS, Drobnjak M, Reuter VE, Zakian KL, Scardino PT, Cordon-Cardo C. Prediction of prostate cancer recurrence using magnetic resonance imaging and molecular profiles. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Jun 1;15(11):3842-9. Epub 2009 May 12.
- Zhao B, James LP, Moskowitz CS, Guo P, Ginsberg MS, Lefkowitz RA, Qin Y, Riely GJ, Kris MG, Schwartz LH. Evaluating variability in tumor measurements from same-day repeat CT scans of patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Radiology. 2009 Jul;252(1):263-72.
- Mazaheri Y, Hricak H, Fine SW, Akin O, Shukla-Dave A, Ishill NM, Moskowitz CS, Grater JE, Reuter VE, Zakian KL, Touijer KA, Koutcher JA. Prostate tumor volume measurement with combined T2-weighted imaging and diffusion-weighted MR: correlation with pathologic tumor volume. Radiology. 2009 Aug;252(2):449-57. PMCID: PMC2753786.
- Akin O, Riedl CC, Ishill NM, Moskowitz CS, Zhang J, Hricak H. Interactive dedicated training curriculum improves accuracy in the interpretation of MR imaging of prostate cancer. Eur Radiol. 2009 Nov 17.
- Liu F, Zhao B, Krug LM, Ishill NM, Lim RC, Guo P, Gorski M, Flores R, Moskowitz CS, Rusch VW, Schwartz LH. Assessment of therapy responses and prediction of survival in malignant pleural mesothelioma through computer-aided volumetric measurement on computed tomography scans. J Thorac Oncol. 2010 Jun;5(6):879-84.
- Smith SM, Ford JS, Rakowski W, Moskowitz CS, Diller L, Hudson MM, Mertens AC, Stanton AL, Henderson TO, Leisenring WM, Robison LL, Oeffinger KC. Inconsistent mammography perceptions and practices among women at risk of breast cancer following a pediatric malignancy: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Cancer Causes Control. 2010 Oct;21(10):1585-95.
- Zhao B, Oxnard GR, Moskowitz CS, Kris MG, Pao W, Guo P, Rusch VM, Ladanyi M, Rizvi NA, Schwartz LH. A pilot study of volume measurement as a method of tumor response evaluation to aid biomarker development. Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Sep 15;16(18):4647-53.
- Kolev V, Mironov S, Mironov O, Ishill N, Moskowitz CS, Gardner GJ, Levine DA, Hricak H, Barakat RR, Chi DS. Prognostic significance of supradiaphragmatic lymphadenopathy identified on preoperative computed tomography scan in patients undergoing primary cytoreduction for advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010 Aug;20(6):979-84.
- Sala E, Kataoka M, Pandit-Taskar N, Ishill N, Mironov S, Moskowitz CS, Mironov O, Collins MA, Chi DS, Larson S, Hricak H. Recurrent ovarian cancer: use of contrast-enhanced CT and PET/CT to accurately localize tumor recurrence and to predict patients’ survival. Radiology. 2010 Oct;257(1):125-34.
- Zakian KL, Hricak H, Ishill N, Reuter VE, Eberhardt S, Moskowitz CS, Shukla-Dave A, Wang L, Scardino PT, Eastham JA, Koutcher JA. An exploratory study of endorectal magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy of the prostate as preoperative predictive biomarkers of biochemical relapse after radical prostatectomy. J Urol. 2010 Dec;184(6):2320-7.
- Mironov O, Ishill NM, Mironov S, Vargas HA, Zheng J, Moskowitz CS, Sonoda Y, Papas RS, Chi DS, Hricak H.Pleural Effusion Detected at CT prior to Primary Cytoreduction for Stage III or IV Ovarian Carcinoma: Effect on Survival. Radiology. 2010 Dec 30.
- Vargas HA, Akin O, Zheng J, Moskowitz CS, Soslow R, Abu-Rustum N, Barakat RR, Hricak H. The value of MR imaging when the site of uterine cancer origin is uncertain. Radiology. 2011 Mar;258(3):785-92.
- Tonorezos ES, Vega GL, Sklar CA, Chou JF, Moskowitz CS, Mo Q, Church TS, Ross R, Janiszewski PM, Oeffinger KC. Adipokines, body fatness, and insulin resistance among survivors of childhood leukemia. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2011 Mar;258(3):776-84.
- Brader P, Abramson SJ, Price AP, Ishill NM, Emily ZC, Moskowitz CS, La Quaglia MP, Ginsberg MS. Do characteristics of pulmonary nodules on computed tomography in children with known osteosarcoma help distinguish whether the nodules are malignant or benign? Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2011 Apr;46(4):729-35.
- Vargas HA, Akin O, Franiel T, Mazaheri Y, Zheng J, Moskowitz CS, Udo K, Eastham J, Hricak H. Diffusion-weighted endorectal MR imaging at 3 T for prostate cancer: tumor detection and assessment of aggressiveness. Radiology. 2011 Jun;259(3):775-84.
- Akin O, Gultekin DH, Vargas HA, Zheng J, Moskowitz CS, Pei X, Sperling D, Schwartz LH, Hricak H, Zelefsky MJ. Incremental value of diffusion weighted and dynamic contrast enhanced MRI in the detection of locally recurrent prostate cancer after radiation treatment: preliminary results. European Radiology. 2011 Sep;21(9):1970-8.
- Meehan CP, Fuqua Iii JL 3rd, Reiner AS, Moskowitz CS, Schwartz LH, Panicek DM. Prognostic significance of adrenal gland morphology at CT in patients with three common malignancies. British Journal of Radiology. 2011 Jul 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lampen-Sachar K, Zhao B, Zheng J, Moskowitz CS, Schwartz LH, Zakowski MF, Rizvi NA, Kris MG, Ginsberg MS. Correlation between tumor measurement on Computed Tomography and resected specimen size in lung adenocarcinomas. Lung Cancer. 2011 Sep 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hwang S, Lefkowitz R, Landa J, Zheng J, Moskowitz CS, Maybody M, Hameed M, Panicek DM. Percutaneous CT-guided bone biopsy: Diagnosis of malignancy in lesions with initially indeterminate biopsy results and CT features associated with diagnostic or indeterminate results. Am J Roentgenol. 2011 Dec;197(6):1417-25.
- Thornton RH, Ulrich R, Hsu M, Moskowitz CS, Reidy-Lagunes D, Covey AM, Brody LA, Robson PM, Sofocleous CT, Solomon SB, Getrajdman GI, Brown KT. Outcomes of patients undergoing percutaneous biliary drainage to reduce bilirubin for administration of chemotherapy. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2011 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Moskowitz CS, Zabor EC, Jochelson M. Breast Imaging: Understanding how accuracy is measured when lesions are the unit of analysis. The Breast Journal. [in press]