The Tri-Institutional PhD Program in Chemical Biology and the Office of Science Education & Training at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center are very pleased to invite applications for the 2022 Chemical Biology Summer Program (ChBSP). This 10-week program is designed to bring outstanding chemistry, biochemistry, and chemical biology undergraduate rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors interested in pursuing a career at the intersection of chemistry and biomedicine for a research experience on the Weill Cornell, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and Rockefeller University campuses. Applicants must have chemistry experience.
The 10-week program begins on June 6 and ends on August 12, 2022.
Students who are accepted into the ChBSP will:
- Adapt their chemistry skills to answer biomedically-focused research questions in cutting-edge laboratories
- Attend weekly luncheon/seminar series of presentations by faculty
- Attend professional development workshops
- Present a poster on their work at the end of the program
Students will receive a stipend of $6,000 for the summer. Housing is available.
Areas of Research
Students will partner with faculty from Weill Cornell, Rockefeller University, and Memorial Sloan Kettering who have expressed a strong interest in working with students with chemistry skill sets. The faculty listed below are conducting research in diverse areas of biomedical sciences, and will welcome the added expertise provided by chemistry, biochemistry, and chemical biology undergraduates. Information about their scientific projects can be found by visiting their respective web pages:
- Heeseon An
- Dan Bachovchin
- John Blenis
- Lewis Cantley
- Seth Darst
- Yael David
- Melinda Diver
- David Eliezer
- Daniel Heller
- Richard Hite
- Samie Jaffrey
- Tarun Kapoor
- Alex Kentsis
- Kayvan Keshari
- Joshua Levitz
- Yueming Li
- Christopher Lima
- Shixin Liu
- Stephen Long
- Minkui Luo
- Anant Menon
- Alexandros Pertsinidis
- Neal Rosen
- Anthony Sauve
- Derek Tan
- Katya Vinogradova
How to Apply
Current domestic undergraduate freshmen, sophomores, and juniors who are majoring in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical biology, or related fields are invited to apply to ChBSP.
We strongly encourage students from groups historically underrepresented in science (disadvantaged, disabled, Black, Hispanic/LatinX, Native American) to apply.
Students can complete and submit the online application here starting November 1, 2021.
Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Application Timeline for Summer 2022
November 1: Applications open
February 1: Application closes on February 1 at 11:59pm EST
Decisions will be announced no later than March 15, 2022
- Should have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Completed college-level chemistry courses
- Courses in general biology would be preferred but are not required
- Have an interest in application of chemistry to biological problems
- Two letters of recommendation must also be submitted via the online submission system. These letters should be written by faculty members who are familiar with the applicant’s academic progress and credentials.
- In addition to the application form and an admissions essay, applicants should upload and submit an unofficial transcript from their college or university directly into the application system. (Only those accepted into the internship will need to submit an official transcript after acceptance).
- If you have any questions or concerns about transcripts, please contact [email protected].
Questions? Contact Program Administrator at [email protected].