Dr. Sawyers is investigating the signaling pathways that drive the growth of cancer cells, with an eye toward designing new treatment options for patients with chronic myeloid leukemia, prostate cancer, and glioblastoma.
Charles L. Sawyers, MD
Chair, Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program
Research FocusHuman Oncology and Pathogenesis Program Chair Charles Sawyers develops molecularly targeted cancer therapy.
EducationMD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Clegg NJ, Wongvipat J, Joseph JD, Tran C, Ouk S, Dilhas A, Chen Y, Grillot K, Bischoff ED, Cai L, Aparicio A, Dorow S, Arora V, Shao G, Qian J, Zhao H, Yang G, Cao C, Sensintaffar J, Wasielewska T, Herbert MR, Bonnefous C, Darimont B, Scher HI, Smith-Jones P, Klang M, Smith ND, De Stanchina E, Wu N, Ouerfelli O, Rix PJ, Heyman RA, Jung ME, Sawyers CL, Hager JH. ARN-509: a novel antiandrogen for prostate cancer treatment. Cancer Res. 2012 Mar 15;72(6):1494-503. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-3948. Epub 2012 Jan 20.
- Carver BS, Chapinski C, Wongvipat J, Hieronymus H, Chen Y, Chandarlapaty S, Arora VK, Le C, Koutcher J, Scher H, Scardino PT, Rosen N, Sawyers CL. Reciprocal feedback regulation of PI3K and androgen receptor signaling in PTEN-deficient prostate cance Cancer Cell. 2011 May 17;19(5):575-86. doi: 10.1016/j.ccr.2011.04.008.
- Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences (2013)
- Science of Oncology Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology (2013)
- Stanley J. Korsmeyer Award, American Society of Clinical Investigation (2011)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences (2010)
- Lasker~DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award, Lasker Foundation (2009)
- Dorothy Landon-AACR Prize for Translational Cancer Research, American Association for Cancer Research (2009)
- Member, Institute of Medicine of the National Academies (2008)
- David A. Karnofsky Memorial Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology (2005)