Use the following questions as a guide when you talk to your insurance company about your coverage options. Be sure to make note of the name of the person that gave you the answers to these questions and the date that you spoke to him or her.
- What type of insurance plan do I have?
Is Memorial Sloan Kettering in my network? If so, here are some follow-up questions to ask:
- Does my insurance plan cover physician costs, as well as inpatient and outpatient hospital services? Memorial Sloan Kettering bills services as an “Outpatient Hospital” rather than a “Doctor’s office.” Many insurance carriers have different benefits that cover services at an “Outpatient Hospital,” please confirm with your insurance carrier what your benefits are.
- What, if any, are my co-payments?
Do I have pharmacy coverage?
- If yes:
- Is there a separate pharmacy card?
- If there is no separate pharmacy card, ask for the following information:
- Pharmacy plan ID number
- Prescription BIN number
- Prescription PCN number
- Prescription group name and number
- Phone number to contact the pharmacy insurance provider
- Does this plan have any specific restrictions?
- Am I locked into a specialty pharmacy? If so, what is the name and contact information for that specialty pharmacy?
- Is mail order required?
- If no:
- What are my other options for prescription coverage?
- If yes:
- Memorial Sloan Kettering is not in my network, but my plan has out-of-network benefits. If I choose to go out-of-network, what do I have to pay? What is the amount of my deductible?
- If I go out-of-network, what percentage of my bill will be paid by the insurance company?
- Is the percentage of my bill paid by the insurance company based on usual, customary, and reasonable (UCR) schedules or on the actual charges?
- Does my insurance plan offer any additional coverage through special networks for treating medical conditions such as cancer?
- Does my policy have an out-of-pocket maximum?
- If my out-of-pocket expenses reach a certain amount, will the insurance carrier ever reimburse at 100 percent?
- If so, does this mean that my claims will then be paid in full, or will I still be responsible for the difference between Memorial Sloan Kettering’s charges and usual, customary, and reasonable (UCR) rates?
- Before I see a doctor at Memorial Sloan Kettering, do I need a referral from my primary care physician, or will I need authorization from my insurance carrier?
- Will I be covered for any testing, pathology, or radiology charges that may be incurred as part of my initial consultation with a Memorial Sloan Kettering doctor?
When confirming coverage with your insurance carrier, they may ask for MSK’s NPI number and/or Tax ID number. Please note, if the physician specific NPI number is needed, please contact Patient Billing Services at 646-227-3378
MSK NPI number: 1700887411
Tax ID number: 131624082
Patients with insurance questions should contact Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Insurance Information line at 646-497-9176, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm ET.