Submit an online request for an in-person appointment or remote second opinion.
When you’re diagnosed with cancer, seeking a second opinion is an important step. It can help ensure that you have the most accurate diagnosis and the best care plan. Even if you are not able to travel to New York for an appointment at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK), you can still receive a medical opinion from MSK’s world-class oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, and molecular diagnosticians, wherever you are.
Who Should Request a Remote Second Opinion?
Seeking a second opinion is a good option when:
- You have received a new cancer or blood disorder diagnosis
- Your diagnosis is unclear
- Your condition or diagnosis has changed
- You are not responding to treatment as expected
- Your treatment plan has changed
- You want to explore other treatment options
- Your condition is rare
- You want the peace of mind that you have an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan
For people who may need surgery, we typically recommend in-person appointments. That way, our doctors can make a thorough evaluation and present you with the best treatment plan possible. You can submit a request for an in-person appointment here.
Note: Remote services are not an emergency service. Do not rely on electronic communications for help with medical emergencies. If you have a medical emergency, call your local emergency service or go to your nearest hospital or urgent care center.
How it Works
MSK partners with MORE Health to offer online remote second opinions from our MSK specialists in virtually every medical oncology specialty and subspecialty. You will first connect with a care advisor from the MSK International Center team who will help you confirm which services best suit your needs. After payment is made, we will connect you with the MORE Health team who will guide you through gathering the medical records, imaging, and materials needed for your remote second opinion before expertly summarizing this for the MSK doctors. An MSK specialist is then individually selected based on their expertise related to your case. They will provide a detailed written consult of medical reports and recommended care a plan after reviewing your medical records and history. There is also the option to meet with the MSK specialist through a live video consultation along with the presence of your local treating oncologist.
Remote Services Offered
MSK Remote Second Opinion
To offer the most comprehensive opinion possible, an MSK remote second opinion brings together a team of experts from pathology, radiology, and oncology. An MSK remote second opinion includes:
- Expert pathology and radiology review: Review of original pathology materials and radiologic imaging (like PET, MRI and CT scans) by MSK specialists to ensure accurate and consistent diagnoses.
- Customized written care plan: Detailed written consult of medical reports and recommended care plan created by MSK surgeons and oncologists then shared with your local, treating physician.
- (Supplemental) Live video consultation: Video conference with an MSK oncologist specializing in your diagnosis, along with your local treating doctor. After a live review and discussion of your test results and diagnosis, a detailed written report is provided by our oncologist summarizing the visit and our care recommendations.
We understand that not everyone needs a comprehensive second opinion. For this reason, we offer standalone video, written, pathology, and radiology consultations.
Note: Video and written consults are based on the extent, quality, and quantity of the medical information received. These reviews do not imply that your care is under the direction of a Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center doctor. Should you have any questions about the recommendations contained in one of these reviews, we suggest that you first discuss them with your local doctor.
Complementary Consult Services
The following services can help supplement a comprehensive remote second opinion or written care plan. Because they complement the expertise of an MSK oncologist, they are not offered as standalone services.
- MSK-IMPACT: Memorial Sloan Kettering’s genomic-sequencing test is called MSK-IMPACT™. It analyzes tumors for more than 500 genetic mutations known to play a role in cancer. The goal is to match the tumors with targeted therapies.
- Integrative medicine: An integrative medicine consult can be added to your MSK remote second opinion or standalone oncology consult. Our integrative medicine services complement your cancer care. Specialized advice and science-based holistic health services include touch therapy, mind-body therapy, acupuncture, exercise programs to improve strength and promote relaxation, and nutritional counseling, as well as consultations on herbs, botanicals, and supplements.
Note: these services are only available in combination with an MSK remote second opinion or standalone written or video oncology consult.
The Cost of a Remote Second Opinion
The cost of a remote second opinion varies depending on the services you would like included. Contact our International Center team for cost information.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Remote Second Opinion?
Typically, MSK can provide a remote second opinion within two to four weeks of receiving all of the necessary medical reports and materials. The time it takes for our doctor(s) to provide their opinion depends on the type of services requested. For example, patients for whom a pathology review is recommended will require additional time to courier the materials and have them reviewed in our labs in New York.
How to Get Started
Follow the steps below to request a second opinion.
1. Submit an Appointment Request Form
The first step in requesting a remote second opinion from an MSK doctor is to submit a remote consultation request form.
Select “Appointments for New Patients” if you are the patient or their caregiver or family member. Select “Refer a Patient” if you are a clinician requesting a review for your patient. Under “Select Patient Services,” make sure to indicate that you are seeking remote services.
Once you have submitted the form, our team will reach out to you by phone or email. This usually happens on the same day or the next business day.
2. Confirm Remote Services
A care advisor from the MSK International Center will help confirm the remote services that best meet your needs. Once your services are confirmed and payment is made, we will connect you with a dedicated case manager from MORE Health.
3. Receiving your Remote Second Opinion via MORE Health
Your dedicated MORE Health case manager will guide you through the entire process, including:
- Inviting you to the secure and easy-to-use MORE Health platform
- Guiding you through collecting and uploading your medical records from your local provider(s)
- Advising on translation options for people whose medical records are not in English
- Matching you with the most appropriate MSK oncologist
- Interacting on your behalf with the MSK oncologist who reviews your case
- Delivering your MSK remote second opinion to you
- Handling any questions you may have
- Staying in touch to make sure you fully understand your treatment and referral options
Your case manager will provide you with a list of the medical information needed to conduct the review. They may recommend that you submit medical records, pathology slides, radiology images, or a combination of these items. This is an important step because our opinion will be based on the quality and quantity of the information received.
We require that all documents submitted are in English. For most people, this means you will need to have your medical records translated. Your MORE Health case manager will be happy to help advise on translation options through their trusted translation partners.
You may also see a listing of private translation services based in New York City that MSK works with.
Email us at [email protected].
Call 212-639-4900, Mon–Fri, 9:00am–5:00pm, ET.
Or use AT&T Direct Access by dialing the access number for the country you are calling from, then dialing 888-675-7722. If you need a translator, we will locate one while you are on the line. Or email [email protected] and tell us the language you speak along with the time you wish to call. We will arrange for a translator to be available.
Bobst International Center
160 East 53rd Street
Rockefeller Outpatient Pavilion, 11th floor
New York, NY 10022